Weeping carbs......

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

AndyM
I'm New!

Weeping carbs......

Post by AndyM » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:30 pm

After I shut her down....my dual baby webers tend to weep gas into the throats of the carbs. This *only* lasts for about ten -fifteen minutes and then it quits.

What is the general consensus of the problem?
I've adjusted everything --linkage, timing, dwell, air/fuel, idle. It runs like a top otherwise. It's especially bad after a few mile run uphill and then shutting off in the garage. I usually give it a few moments to slow down before I pull into the garage but after I shut it down, I can smell gas, and see gas weeping into the carb throats. I can't tell where its coming from, however.

Needle valves? Carbs are 6-7 years old. 15K miles.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:12 pm

needle valves, mal-adjusted floats, bad floats...
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:23 pm

What about fuel pressure?...

AndyM
I'm New!

Post by AndyM » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:11 am

I'm running a stock mechanical fuel pump.

The thing is, it doesn't always do it. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. Less than a year ago I had these carbs apart and decided not to replace the needle valves because the new ones were sticky outta the box. The old ones seems to be fine and I left them in. I'm thinking if it were float height, then it should weep everytime, but it doesn't. Floats were good at that time too.

I live at the top of a long hill and when I get home the motor is at its warmest. Never hot, but at its warmest and then I shut it off. Is there a possibilty of the gas in the float chamber expanding after the heat soak???