The $30 Fuel Pump for Vanagon.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

luftvagon
Old School!

The $30 Fuel Pump for Vanagon.

Post by luftvagon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 am

The early Vanagon fuel tank outlet size is 8mm (5/16"), and the fuel pump inlet is 12mm, while the fuel pump outlet goes back to 8mm.
To make things a bit more complicated, VW used a little plastic pre-filter to convert from 8mm to 12mm. They are easy to find and order, but they are never on hand, at least in my town, at major car parts stores. This is why I completely removed my pre-filter, and went to post fuel pump filter from newer Vanagons.

Another bummer is that designated Vanagon Bosch fuel pumps or aftermarkets run anywhere from $100-160, depending on the retailers. I am always on a look out for alternatives. I hate being stuck to one product and one vendor. Alternatives are always good.

While you are upgrading your fuel pump, it is time to also switch to more available fuel filters.

Here is the list of parts you will need:

NAPA Fuel Filter 3032 ($3.87) - AVAILABLE AT ANY NAPA STORE, AT ANY TIME (Alternatives available at any parts store -- Any external fuel filter with 5/16 inch inlet and outlet)

or

Late Vanagon or Eurovan Fuel Filter 0-450-905-030 ($12.00) - AVAILABLE AT ANY VW DEALER, OR ONLINE (Optional, but recommended. Required if you skip the pre filter).

PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC Part # P37 - Fuel PUMP ($28.89) - AVAILABLE FROM ROCKAUTO - Alternatives: any 8th generation or 9th generation Ford Truck external fuel pump with 5/16 inlet and 5/16 outlet.

10Gauge female SPADE terminal - AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE. The fuel pump requires a bit larger spade terminal.

Optional: 5/16" Fuel T Fitting ($3.00) - AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE, in case you have external heater booster.

Here is how it all looks :

Code: Select all

( GAS TANK )  = 5/16" SAE 30R9  FUEL INJECTION HOSE = P37 FUEL PUMP = FUEL FILTER (3032 or  0-450-905-030) = to FUEL INJECTORS
Optional step (not for STOCK L-Jetronic use): if you are running alternative fuel injection computer, and you are using a relay (+12v) to switch the fuel pump, go ahead and ground your fuel pump right to the frame.

The total "upgrade" cost me $50.00, and I am very happy knowing I no longer have to depend on very expensive fuel pump, and filters that may not be available at every corner parts store. In terms of economics, I can replace 5 of these pumps, for the price of OE BOSCH. For $30, I can afford to have a spare. I will provide updates in the original post, should my opinion change on this setup. Currently, I am loving every minute of it.

UPDATES :
[104300 miles/4300 miles on the new engine] - 1000 miles on the P37 fuel pump. No issues, very good fuel flow. Thinking about getting two more pumps. One to use for my diesel truck as a lift pump, and a second one as a common pool replacement part. I stocked up on pre-filters, however it will not need to be changed for thousands of miles. Good to have a spare regardless.

UPDATES :
I do not recommend putting a pre-filter before the fuel pump at the fuel tank outlet.. I had a fuel pump failure due to fuel starvation because of the pre-pump filter. These pumps are built with looser tolerances and don't mind junk going through them. After I replaced my fuel pump with another P37, and removed the pre-filter, the fuel pump noise disappeared, and the pump was much quieter than the stock $150 BOSCH pump. The document has been updated to reflect this new configuration.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: The $30 Fuel Pump for Vanagon.

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am

just to confirm, your running the Napa pre-filter and the stock vanagon post fuel filter correct?

thanks for sharing this BTW. I know the fuel pump in my project bus now is working OK, but it's backsomething valve is shot, as the second I turn off the ignition I lose fuel pressure. I don't know if that means it'll actually fail soon or not, but it's good to have a backup plan on the shelf and ready to install.

the Napa pre-filter also seems like a more solid construction than the classic Israel made white plastic filter.

There wasn't a reason that VW setup the fuel filter to have a bigger hose (more fuel?) going into the fuel filter? Why go through the effort to step it up if your just going to step it right back down after the pump?
1979 California Transporter

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:30 pm

UPDATE:
Fuel pump failure at 2000 miles! I'm calling the company tomorrow to see if they will warranty the item. The fuel pump is getting voltage, however, it's not even buzzing or clicking. The failure may be the result of two fuel filters, and the strain it puts on the pump. Prior to the failure, the pump started making different noise than it usually does.

Otherwise, P37 actually dropped down to $28. I may not be buying the P37 next, but an alternative that's about $10 more. Contemplating on running the pre-filter...
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 am

luftvagon wrote:UPDATE:
Fuel pump failure at 2000 miles! I'm calling the company tomorrow to see if they will warranty the item. The fuel pump is getting voltage, however, it's not even buzzing or clicking. The failure may be the result of two fuel filters, and the strain it puts on the pump. Prior to the failure, the pump started making different noise than it usually does.

Otherwise, P37 actually dropped down to $28. I may not be buying the P37 next, but an alternative that's about $10 more. Contemplating on running the pre-filter...
Welcome to the Itinerant Air-Cooled Math Quiz:

If You Pay Twice As Much And It Lasts Four Times As Long
is it:
( ) cheaper
( ) more expensive
( ) same
as
If You Pay Half As Much and Last Half As Long
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:02 pm

The document has been updated to reflect new recommendation. I no longer recommend running pre-filter. Newer Vanagon's dont have one, why should you? Instead, only run filter, post fuel pump, before the injectors. You could technically relocate your fuel filter closer to the injectors for easier service.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:14 pm

luftvagon wrote: I no longer recommend running pre-filter.
Newer Vanagon's dont have one, why should you?
As per your above, scarfed off the GoWesty site:
From 1980 to about 1984, Vanagons were fitted with a small square pre-filter before the fuel pump. This filter (133-133-511) had a 7mm inlet nipple and a 12mm outlet nipple. The fuel tank on a 1980-85 Vanagon has a 7mm outlet nipple. The electric fuel pump on all Vanagons has a 12mm inlet nipple. The pre-filter also acted as a sort of adaptor. Sometime in 1984, Vanagons were also fitted with a post-filter (0-450-905-030) and also kept the pre-filter. Then, at some point in 1985, they eliminated the pre-filter and replaced it with a little 7mm/12mm adaptor fitting. Finally, in 1986, VW changed the design of the fuel tank, and the nipple coming out of the tank on all 2WD Vanagons was modified to 12mm, which eliminated the need for any pre-filter or adaptor. It was at this time that the Syncro was introduced, which was designed from the get-go with a fuel tank that has a 12mm nipple, and no pre-filter was used.

The reason VW eliminated the small filter before the pump—and increased the size of the hose and nipple between it and the tank—was to insure an ample, non-obstructed fuel supply to the pump. The pre-filter was not only redundant and strange, but it was also tiny and clogged much too easily. By contrast, the 0-450-905-030 post-filter is very common and very large, so it usually lasts at least 30,000 miles.
What a bunch of crap. Redundant? Strange? Common? Somebody over there is lost in adjective hell.
Every fuel injected Volkswagen and the 914-4 and the 914-6 has had the 133 133 511 filter before the pump. It never was redundant, and was way too ubiquitous to be considered strange.

The Vanagon's issue with fuel filtration had only to do with the fact that the 2 wheel drive models had a tank that was too low, too broad, and too far from the pump's inlet.
luftvagon wrote: Instead, only run filter, post fuel pump, before the injectors. You could technically relocate your fuel filter closer to the injectors for easier service.
Technically, I choose to follow the factory design and will let you know if/when I have a fuel pump failure.
Colin

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:59 pm

I hear you -- I had a pre-filter, and a post-filter. It did not work for me. It would've cooked the Bosch pump too...

69doublecab
I'm New!

Post by 69doublecab » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:59 pm

EVERY vanagon tank I have worked on has water and rust and SAND in it. Guess what The water and sand is coming from the expansion tanks. Broken grommet on the top. EVERY SINGLE ONE that I look at is shot.
I always run the NAPA 2032 filter. PREFILTER! If the pump starts making enough noise that I hear it, I pull the filter off on the side of the road and back flush it with a blast of Brakleen into a white paper towel. ALWAYS A BUNCH OF RUSTY STUFF.
Keep in mind there is a tiny intake screen on the pump that always needs to be flushed

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:27 am

69doublecab wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:59 pm
EVERY vanagon tank I have worked on has water and rust and SAND in it. Guess what The water and sand is coming from the expansion tanks. Broken grommet on the top. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Thank-you! Good to know! Maintain your cars and enjoy the day! Don't maintain your cars and enjoy the stories you will have to tell.
Colin
(my Vanagon had a perfectly clean tank because my expansion tanks/grommets were in perfect condition, so ha ha ha haaaaa)
(gawd I hate santimonious little goody-two-shoes)