Safety Wiring A Carbureted Electric Fuel Pump

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Re: Engine won't idle on newly-acquired 1977 Super

Post by Runamuck Bus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06 am

renobdarb wrote:
And here's a dandy. The fuel pump is INSIDE the engine compartment and wired to the coil. One of the first orders of business is to move this to the proper spot near the tank and hook up a safety relay. I did this in my bus so I'm pretty confident I can do it in this beetle...

Cheers,
Brad
Hold it right there! I need to move my bus fuel pump to the proper spot and hook up a safety relay AND I need to be prepared to do it come IAC time! Where is the low down on this miracle? Can you offer more details or point me to the correct thread?

Thanks, Tim.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Runamuck Bus wrote:
renobdarb wrote:
And here's a dandy. The fuel pump is INSIDE the engine compartment and wired to the coil. One of the first orders of business is to move this to the proper spot near the tank and hook up a safety relay. I did this in my bus so I'm pretty confident I can do it in this beetle...
Cheers,
Brad
Hold it right there! I need to move my bus fuel pump to the proper spot and hook up a safety relay AND I need to be prepared to do it come IAC time! Where is the low down on this miracle? Can you offer more details or point me to the correct thread?

Thanks, Tim.
What is your carburetion?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

renobdarb
I'm New!

Post by renobdarb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:10 am

Runamuck Bus wrote:Hold it right there! I need to move my bus fuel pump to the proper spot and hook up a safety relay AND I need to be prepared to do it come IAC time! Where is the low down on this miracle? Can you offer more details or point me to the correct thread?

Thanks, Tim.
Hey, Tim. I did this on my '78 Bus as well (PO converted from FI to dual Weber IDF's :scratch: ) and it's pretty easy, just a little time-consuming. If you're able to snip wires and attach connectors you can probably do it yourself and save Colin for the big, complicated stuff — like the ball joint boots he helped me replace; what a PITA.

Anyway, give us a little more insight on your set-up: Bus year, current carb, current fuel pump and location, how the fuel pump is currently powered, ect. The safety relay comes with a complicated-looking diagram but it's actually pretty straight forward. You just have to be meticulous and pay attention to detail. I got mine hooked up right in my bus on the first try, and I'm going to install one in the Beetle today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes...
1978 Campmobile, 2000cc w/hydro lifters, dual Weber 44 IDF carbs (50 idle jets, 115 main jets), SVDA distributor w/Compufire.

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 am

OK, here goes.
I have the dreaded/loved '72, 'Weekender' with a 2L ('78) motor sporting the single 'Weber' carb. Actually, it looks more like a 'weber' knock-off since I have never been able to find any maunfacturer markings on the assembly. The carb was on the bus when I bought it. Also, the fuel filter was in the engine compartment and the fuel pump was mounted high on the firewall. The fuel filter has been relocated (near fuel tank) and the fuel pump is still in the engine compartment, but sits much lower (it does cavitate). The fuel pump is low pressure, 3 to 5 #'s, I believe. Fuel pump is wired directly to the coil; you know the story - key on = fuel pump runs. I have studied a couple wiring diagrams for double relays thinking that was my answer but I usually get a headache or that 'deer in the headlights' stare. I am competent that I can handle the job if I have the details; my 'IAC' visit list is already too long to include too many other tasks.
Thanks in advance.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender