Cleaning FI Electric Fuel Pump.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Cleaning FI Electric Fuel Pump.

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:41 am

Somewhere, within the great wealth of VW bus info on the net, I read a description of how to submerge your removed fuel pump in, I believe it was diesel fuel, hook it up to a battery, and let it run in order to clean it out. Anyone have a link to that information, or able to provide a description of the process. Is it effective?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Cleaning FI Electric Fuel Pump.

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 am

Jivermo wrote:Somewhere, within the great wealth of VW bus info on the net, I read a description of how to submerge your removed fuel pump in, I believe it was diesel fuel, hook it up to a battery, and let it run in order to clean it out. Anyone have a link to that information, or able to provide a description of the process. Is it effective?
I have run pumps forwards and backwards by reversing polarity, not submerged, but hooked up to a temporary supply of gasoline independent of the vehicle's fuel system. This of course would be considered "dangerous". I do not a see a problem with running the pump submerged in diesel, but please be extremely alert and deliberate and have your switching device away from fumes.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 am

The article I read suggested diesel because of the lessened risk of a fire or explosion and, I think, because of so-called lubricating qualities, as I recall. Wish I could recall where I saw it. When you ran the pump reversed, did you get any apparent crud out of the pumps? I'd like to know whether this exercise is effective or not. I wonder if mineral spirits would be a more effective agent. Thanks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Jivermo wrote:The article I read suggested diesel because of the lessened risk of a fire or explosion and, I think, because of so-called lubricating qualities, as I recall. Wish I could recall where I saw it. When you ran the pump reversed, did you get any apparent crud out of the pumps? I'd like to know whether this exercise is effective or not. I wonder if mineral spirits would be a more effective agent. Thanks.
I had a stalled pump and saved it for another day. It spit out rust through the "in" port. Of course, it didn't last long after its resurrection, so get a spare anyway.
Colin

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I use my spare fuel pump as a brake bleeder. It will atomize brake fluid into vapor like substance when it starts sucking air... Be careful not to have any flame or spark around it. Diesel would be safer.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:57 am

Another bump -- you can purchase a brand new fuel pump for $39 delivered to your doorstep. I would not even bother cleaning it.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:59 am

luftvagon wrote:Another bump -- you can purchase a brand new fuel pump for $39 delivered to your doorstep. I would not even bother cleaning it.
Details?

In this world, I am so leery of cheap that I wonder what sort of life expectancy is to be found in a $39.00 "delivered-to-your-door" pump.