Fuel injection pump always running - 1979 Super

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Fuel injection pump always running - 1979 Super

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi! :wave:

I too am the fortunate owner of a 1979 Super Beetle and I think I might know what's going on.
dpothomsonvw wrote:There are 3 white wires. 1 is a single connection and the other 2 are together. All 3 are connected to the only threaded post on my alternator. There is also a red battery wire on the same post.
The three (mine has four BTW) white wires are the GROUND wires for your FI system that come from the ECU. They are supposed to be connected to the body of the alternator with a cheesehead machine screw. You can sorta see in this picture.
With them connected to the threaded post, you are suppling battery voltage where there shouldn't be. This voltage is feeding back through the AAR to terminal 88c (and thusly 88d) of the double relay and powering your fuel pump.

Disconnect the white wires from the threaded post and attach them to the alternator as (kinda) shown. Hopefully the ECU hasn't been damaged in the process and everything will magically work the way it was intended.

BTW,
dpothomsonvw wrote:The other post on the alternator is a spade connector that has the green wire. I assume that is the idiot light for the dash.
You are correct.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

dpothomsonvw
I'm New!

Post by dpothomsonvw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks DIck. I am heading home right now to check it out. I will let you all know how it goes. Wouldn't that be typical that all this was over an incorrect installation. I too hope that my mistake did not cause harm to the ECU. I will keep my fingers crossed.

dpothomsonvw
I'm New!

Post by dpothomsonvw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Problem solved! Turns out it had nothing to do with the idiot light on the dash, just the idiot behind the wrench. I had the white wires wired directly to battery on the alternator when they should have been grounded. Wired it correctly and it fired right up even after sitting for over 5 years outside in the weather.
A big thank you to all who participated in my misery (own doing). I plan to take the engine out and redo all fuel lines, injectors, etc. so I will probably be back asking for advice again.

Again thank you all

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 pm

dpothomsonvw wrote:Wired it correctly and it fired right up even after sitting for over 5 years outside in the weather.
These little cars are incredibly forgiving. Enjoy it!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Yay! :cheers: You dodged a bullet there with your ECU, I think. Just goes to show how robustly built they are.

It is so satisfying to hear an engine roar to life after sitting for 5 years. :thumbleft:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:24 am

SlowLane wrote:Could you elaborate a little more on these "three white wires on the alternator"? Like which pins they connect to on which device at the other end?
I'm wondering if you maybe have the FI harness ground connections connected to the +12V side of your alternator somehow.
Good job there, :king: Slow Lane, and your pictures, :king: dtrumbo.
ColinIUsedToCatchThatStuff :geek:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles