Enlarging the venturis in Solex H32 PDSIT carbs

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Enlarging the venturis in Solex H32 PDSIT carbs

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:54 pm

i have a pair of Solex H32 PDSIT carbs on my bus, these are the carbs included in the $300 dual carb type 1 kits @ CB performance. They come with very small venturis in them and I had seen that they sold larger ones. What I could not find was a recommendation if they were indeed an improvement and what size jets to use with them. So I stuck with them stock ones for years. They are great carbs, get me 21 MPG and very good power and cool cyl. heads. Recently I saw that aircooled.net http://vwparts.aircooled.net/34mm-PDSIT ... enturi.htm had a blurb about these larger venturis saying they were indeed needed in 1600 CC and larger engines. and to use the 145 jet with them. So I just got thru installing said parts.

WOW! My bus is much faster. When Colin was here a week ago he did a rough estimate speed test accelerating from 50 to 60 in 4th, it took 10 seconds. I just did it in 7 ! My CHT gauge also seems to like these parts. Need more driving time to confirm this. But |I can confirm if you have these carbs and a 1600 you need the larger venturies and jets!

BTW Colin The idle jet was plugged on the Thing, it now idles off the idle circuit like it should!

A pic of the carb ID so we know for sure what I'm talkin about.

Stock venturi next to a upgraded one

A mod experience has taught me to do, taper the bottom edge of the venturies and this prevents the throttle blade form hanging up on them if they try and slide down. Modded one on left, stock one right

The carb bodies showing the larger vents installed.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Enlarging the venturis in Solex H32 PDSIT carbs

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:11 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:When Colin was here a week ago he did a rough estimate speed test accelerating from 50 to 60 in 4th, it took 10 seconds. I just did it in 7 !
Please take into account the excess tonnage of my presence in the car during our test.
That is a good time by the way . . . the same as the BobD with the 2.0 L-Jet engine.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:08 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I used a carbide cutter in an air die grinder but a sanding roll in an elec. drill would also do the job just fine.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:27 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:12 pm

that trick works on sticky throttle bodies too. i used little hand files.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.