New mechanical fuel pumps for type 2

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

New mechanical fuel pumps for type 2

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Browsing the classifieds over at TS (I do that when I'm bored and broke) and came across these
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1310258

Last time I was actually looking for one I seen a stupid price and decided to try the original pump before I went crazy. Anybody useing one of these yet? I dont wanna blow my money on junk.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: New mechanical fuel pumps for type 2

Post by Hippie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 am

Ooooh and the classic rebuildable kind too. I don't like the look of the sealed, disposable pumps. They look like they belong on a '79 Chevy pickup.

(I found my T1 rebuildable fuel pump at a VW junk yard and cleaned and rebuilt it so I could pack the newer sealed pump as an emergency spare.)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 am

bajaman72 wrote:Browsing the classifieds over at TS (I do that when I'm bored and broke) and came across these
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1310258

Last time I was actually looking for one I seen a stupid price and decided to try the original pump before I went crazy. Anybody useing one of these yet? I dont wanna blow my money on junk.
Looks nice, but who knows? I'd take the risk, after a careful discussion of warranty terms.
ColinLookingForOEM1600BusPump
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Well, if you would take the risk.. so will I. Not quite sure on when I can offer a reliability report. I'm on shaky grounds at the moment. But this will definatley get ordered for the "Bus Stash" (Shipped to work, hide boxes/receipts/etc...) My wife tell me 1 thing at a time... but I got a lot of things!!!
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 am

bajaman72 wrote:Well, if you would take the risk.. so will I. Not quite sure on when I can offer a reliability report. I'm on shaky grounds at the moment. But this will definatley get ordered for the "Bus Stash" (Shipped to work, hide boxes/receipts/etc...) My wife tell me 1 thing at a time... but I got a lot of things!!!
I'd be curious to know if the diaphragm is the same size with the same number of screw holes as the 1600 pump.If so, I would, I swear, buy a new pump and just rip it apart and take the diaphragm to install in a correct 1600 pump with the anti-percolation valve that I desperately need for Chloe in this 95* Texas heat.
Colin

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:40 am

I had mine apart and seeing what I thought were tiny pinholes in the smaller diaphragm, I installed an electric pump, which is working fine.
(I was chasing what turned out to be a different problem but it feels good to have a redundant pump.)
Now, occasionally one needle in a carb doesn't seat and fuel flows ever so freely into a cylinder....
Question - does the original mechanical pump prevent fuel from flowing through it by gravity when the engine is not running?
I would like the security of some kind of fuel shutoff - as well as maintaining the needles and seats of course. If the answer is yes I may go for one of these new ones.
Otherwise I'm thinking of putting either a vacuum or electrically operated shutoff in line.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:46 am

does the original mechanical pump prevent fuel from flowing through it by gravity when the engine is not running?
In my experience the fuel pump does NOT offer this function. It only has a couple 1 way valves in it that keep the fuel from going backwards, but nothing to restrict forward fuel flow.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:33 am

grandfatherjim wrote:I had mine apart and seeing what I thought were tiny pinholes in the smaller diaphragm, I installed an electric pump, which is working fine.
(I was chasing what turned out to be a different problem but it feels good to have a redundant pump.)
Now, occasionally one needle in a carb doesn't seat and fuel flows ever so freely into a cylinder....
Question - does the original mechanical pump prevent fuel from flowing through it by gravity when the engine is not running?
I would like the security of some kind of fuel shutoff - as well as maintaining the needles and seats of course. If the answer is yes I may go for one of these new ones.
Otherwise I'm thinking of putting either a vacuum or electrically operated shutoff in line.
VW introduced anti-percolation shut-offs (the little circle of screws at the top of the pump) that helped hot starting behavior. These prevented fuel expansion from overwhelming the carburetors.
My junky Brazilian job does not have this feature (no replacement mechanical pumps do, that I can tell) and I am getting bad hot starts that shall destroy my piston rings. I would like to put in an ignition controlled electromagnetic fuel line cut-off . . .
Colin

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 am

Just yesterday I placed an order for this:

http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html

I'll let you know how it goes.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:47 am

So the cutoff would go between the pump and the carb? I've heard a percolating noise from back there a few times after shutting down, was always curious what it was.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 am

I think I have a spare pump Colin, but it may be Brazilian of the same style. Remind me when you're in town.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 am

grandfatherjim wrote:Just yesterday I placed an order for this:

http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html

I'll let you know how it goes.
That's it! I need one! Soon! How much is it?
Colin!

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:02 am

I also ordered a couple of barbed fittings,as the valve has female 1/8" NPT in and out, and a 1 1/2" insulated clamp for mounting the valve - including shipping, all that was $40.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:29 pm

grandfatherjim wrote:I also ordered a couple of barbed fittings,as the valve has female 1/8" NPT in and out, and a 1 1/2" insulated clamp for mounting the valve - including shipping, all that was $40.
What a great stocking stuffer . . . . :alien:

I need one, this engine is going to get damaged with these flooding hot starts.
Just a reminder, the original factory engineering was answering a number of driveability issues, when you have the chance to retain the original factory engineering, do so. Now that we have these aftermarket vendors who do not answer to such things, we need to come up with retrofits, like these fuel cut-offs (even though I would hate to junk up the engine with one - I'd love to score an original VW pump with internal cutoff)
ColinInNevada

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 pm

In John Muir's day, it was the automatic choke conspiracy that was going to kill your mill, now it's the incomplete fuel pumps.
Crap...the things they do to save a buck.
I wonder if an expansion chamber in the line would do the same good as a cutoff?