Fuel pump wires

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Fuel pump wires

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue May 01, 2012 6:18 pm

So, silly question. I bought a Bosch fuel pump for my Vanagon. The spade terminals on it are not the same size, to idiot proof it I suppose. They didn't, however, match the ones I had on there. One is wider, something like 5 or 6 16ths. Nobody seems to have a female terminal that fits. I found one that is too big and mashed it on there with promises to myself to find the right one.

It troubles my soul because I know it is going to vibrate around down there and it is just...wrong.

So - where can I find the right size and

Is there a way to fight my growing obsession with "der ist only the korrect way" before I end up disassembling and painting my entire exhaust system in the wilderness someplace! :compress:
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Fuel pump wires

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:So, silly question. I bought a Bosch fuel pump for my Vanagon. The spade terminals on it are not the same size, to idiot proof it I suppose. They didn't, however, match the ones I had on there. One is wider, something like 5 or 6 16ths. Nobody seems to have a female terminal that fits. I found one that is too big and mashed it on there with promises to myself to find the right one.

It troubles my soul because I know it is going to vibrate around down there and it is just...wrong.

So - where can I find the right size and

Is there a way to fight my growing obsession with "der ist only the korrect way" before I end up disassembling and painting my entire exhaust system in the wilderness someplace! :compress:
Allowest not thy soul to be troubled further, for the only penance you will have to perform is to go under the car and re-do a connection if and as necessary.

My question is, are you dealing with an unexpected fat spade, or an unexpected skinny spade? I have not run across unexpected fat spades. This "nobody has a female that fits" is this with the pump on the counter to match up?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 pm

It was, none were snug one was over loose. I'm thinking I need to just take the pump back off and visit some more places. Ideally I would come up with a replacement for the dust boots as well.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 pm

radio shack sells a "combination pack" that has several sizes. I even found the very narrow ones found on instrument light connectors. In fact I plan on attending the lab this monday and can bring my bag o trix ifn' you would like.

as long as the end rolls and that center area I showed you in the lot (the one I pushed in to make a tighter connection on the coil connector) are pushing hard on the spade itself I think you will be ok. was it hard to push on? if so, leave it be til you have to make the swap. Hang on to your old pump (theres a great place to stash it under the driver's seat (where I keep my spare....)
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....