'72 Bus Front Door Interchange

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

U-turn
I'm New!

'72 Bus Front Door Interchange

Post by U-turn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Hello all,

We've recently purchased our first air-cooled vw, a 1972 Campmobile, and are diving into this project head first. Our friend has been in the process of downsizing his bus fleet (five at one point), and we decided to give this one a home. It appears to have light rust in the usual places, though the rockers seem to have been spared.

We plan on replacing the two front doors as this is probably our best option with the current rust situation; however, my friend thought that we might be limited as to what years of the bay window are a direct swap. I understand that '68 had a different door handle setup, and my buddy thought that there was perhaps a change in the hinge area with the later bays. Anyhow, I'm wondering what kind of year range I'm looking at for compatability, and if it is indeed the hinge that changed. Enjoying the forum, glad to be here.

Cheers,
U-turn

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: '72 Bus Front Door Interchange

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:35 pm

yes, the hinge design changed in 76 IIRC. You used to be able to buy a kit with some special pieces so you could mount the early doors on a later bay.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

U-turn
I'm New!

Post by U-turn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks, Bleyseng. That should help me narrow my search. Is '76 the same year that the internal door lock migrated up next to the window?

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:49 am

Welcome u-turn.

Another one into the Fray...Bwaaahaaahaaaa.....cackle....(eyes dart left and right)....Let the madness begin.... :pirate:

What part of Wa. are you in? Mayhaps you will have other buspilots nearby for extra hands in future projects and parts bin raiding.

A possible resource for gaining knowledge about part sourcing/fitment is busdepot (http://www.busdepot.com/) or midamerica motoroworks (http://www.mamotorworks.com/).... and any number of others.

I use these sites to get VW part numbers and then do a google search with the VW part number in quotations. Helps find the best deal for the part as well as answering some fitment questions.

Hope this helps.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Another great local resource is Ken Madson at The Bus Company (http://www.thebusco.com). You can give him a call and he can tell you what parts are interchangeable between what years and most likely has three or four of each on hand for sale at a reasonable price. This is an un-compensated announcement by a non-attorney spokesperson. :joker:
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

U-turn
I'm New!

Post by U-turn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips. I can see already that some parts for the bus are going to be easier to source than with my 'dub that is nine years newer. We're a quick hop across the river from Portland in Southwest Washington, so lots of good people. My friend and the P.O. of the '72 is a mere .8 mile as the bus drives, so I can always go look at one of his '72's to see how it should go.

The doors I looked at were a bit too new; the semi-search continues
Cheers

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 am

I live up in Ridgefield.

Sounds like we may see you at the Lucky Lab on Quimby one of these Mondays?....hint hint
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Although I've never been there, I've heard Avery's AirCooled to be a good place for all kinds of big and small parts like this. Dtrumbo, what do you think about Averys' for U-turn?
-'72 Westy-

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Oregon72 wrote:Dtrumbo, what do you think about Averys' for U-turn?
I've only ordered Beetle parts from them, but I've been VERY pleased with the quick service, quality parts and reasonable price I paid. I assume they'd behave similarly with their bus parts. Let us know.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

U-turn
I'm New!

Post by U-turn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 am

Hey, thanks again. It looks like a trip to Woodland will be in order one of these days. Same with the Lucky Lab, once the bus is streetable. :study: