Pop Top Refinishing

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mattg
Old School!

Pop Top Refinishing

Post by mattg » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Anyone paint their pop top? I would like to paint the pop top and am curious what others used for paint. Also, where is the wind coming from that is inflating my canvas while driving in the front corners of the pop top just behind the front seats? Time for a new seal?
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Pop Top Refinishing

Post by hambone » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am

Rustoleum oil based seems to be the word on th street.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 am

We did, but I can't recall.
We went to Home Depot and got a real good primer, and paint.
First we cleaned it good.
We painted it blue. Seven years later and it is still on there, haven't noticed any problems whatsoever.

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks - I will check out the rustoleum.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Remember the Rustoleum will be tacky for a week or so. Prolly don't want to load anything on top for awhile.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 am

I used a paint called Interlux Brightside available at WestMarine. It's specifically a fiberglass boat paint. Your top is made of the same stuff as a boat. I'm entirely happy with the product but wish I'd taken the time for a third coat for a smoother finish. It's been three years now and holding up just great. I washed the winter grime off in late spring and no staining to be had.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 am

Don't know if you've already done the painting or not, but I will vouch for Rustoleum (Gloss White). I used it on my poptop restoration project in April of 2008, and it still looks bright and shiny, even after at least 3 years or daily exposure to harsh Colorado sunshine. Dirt comes right off when washing, no problems with stains.

Prep is key...I did a lot of sanding to get the surface ready for paint, and did 2 coats with a foam roller. Some pics here:

http://bret.radom.org/v/vw/poptop/
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 am

Ritter wrote:I used a paint called Interlux Brightside available at WestMarine. It's specifically a fiberglass boat paint. Your top is made of the same stuff as a boat. I'm entirely happy with the product but wish I'd taken the time for a third coat for a smoother finish. It's been three years now and holding up just great. I washed the winter grime off in late spring and no staining to be had.
This is what I used on my previous poptops as well and it worked REALLY well. It's a really high gloss finish, so as long as your OK with that, it seemed to hold up to any weather. I did my luggage rack with it to of course and it seemed fairly resistant to scratching.
1979 California Transporter

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:38 am

I have not painted yet but it is definitely on my to do list before school starts in late August. Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know how to stop the pop top from inflating while driving or is that standard?

77 Westy 2.0 FI

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:49 am

I used the Rustoleum Top Side semi-gloss marine paint. And the same primer before hand.
Purchased at Lowe's. Seemed to roll on really nice, and has held up well.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"