I need plastic surgery

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

I need plastic surgery

Post by covelo » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:00 pm

When we were in Death Valley some idiot survivalist in a Jeep Wrangler backed into our bus. Fortunately, he missed the tailgate, causing minor damage to the gutter and the corner above the tail light (the big black dent below the tail light was already there):

This red piece of crap on the back of this Jeep is what caused the damage to the rain gutter:

So I am hoping for a decent insurance settlement and want to take that money and add some and have some overall cosmetic surgery done on the bus, including my dismal-looking nose:

Has anyone else worked with a bodyshop to do this? How were your results? What do I need to look out for? How expensive was it? Is it worth doing a major overhaul like that on the outside of my bus? The interior is pretty much original and we really like it and want to keep the bus. All the pictures on this site of these perfect undented buses make me a little envious!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: I need plastic surgery

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:46 pm

covelo wrote:When we were in Death Valley some idiot survivalist in a Jeep Wrangler backed into our bus!
Sock it to him, covelo. Hit him hard. Your bus is a classic.
Be sure to get quality work performed if you are going to do it at all. Some of the new polyurethanes are tough as hell and shine well. Try to stay away from new panels from Brazil. They are cheaper than your German steel, and could give you grief down the road. Make sure that any work performed is backed up with thorough cavity paint + rust prevention. Some body dooods are "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" types who will leavfe inner panels totally exposed to future rust. You ocean air types need good paint well applied.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

OB Bus

Re: I need plastic surgery

Post by OB Bus » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:43 pm

covelo wrote:When we were in Death Valley some idiot survivalist in a Jeep Wrangler backed into our bus. Fortunately, he missed the tailgate, causing minor damage to the gutter and the corner above the tail light (the big black dent below the tail light was already there):

This red piece of crap on the back of this Jeep is what caused the damage to the rain gutter:

Red piece of crap? That is a high-lift jack. A wonderful tool when far from any roads. Works well even if packed with sand and dust. Makes for an emergency winch also.

Anyway, sock it to his insurance company. (The Jeep driver was insured, wasn't he?) With care you can spread out the money to take car of many body issues.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:13 pm

Red piece of crap? That is a high-lift jack. A wonderful tool when far from any roads. Works well even if packed with sand and dust. Makes for an emergency winch also.
Don't listen to him. If it hurt your bus, it's a piece of crap
:tongue:

Don't mind me, I just like fanning the fire. Hope insurance gets your baby all fixed, I know i'd be pretty pissed if that happened to me.