Riviera Camper Luggage Bin Tie-Down Hook Replacement

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Riviera Camper Luggage Bin Tie-Down Hook Replacement

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:17 pm

So in preparation for the big trip to the 5th Annual Deschutes River RendezVW coming up, I decided I needed to replace the cracked and broken tie down hooks in the luggage bin on the front of my Riviera. I would imagine the Westy bins have something similar so maybe you Westy-owners can get something out of this as well.

So here's what I'm talking about. The original ones were plastic and over the years of exposure to UV rays have become brittle with some of them breaking all together.

By the way, the little hooks are called 'eye straps'. Marine supply stores sell nice stainless steel ones which is what I bought. You'll see in a moment. I originally thought I could just drill the pop rivets out and rivet the new eye straps on, but I found that there is a backing plate behind them.

I drilled the first one out and heard the backing plate clunk down on the roof of the bus. At that point I knew the whole thing had to come off. Have you ever wondered what it looks like underneath?

Pretty ugly! Ok. so the luggage bin is off the bus and down where I can work on it. I drilled all the pop rivets out, replaced the hooks and using the original backing plates, stainless machine screws and nylock nuts, I attached the new eye straps.

Now that that's done, it was time to clean up that nasty mess that had collected underneath. All clean and waxed even! Colin, you would be proud!

Now it's time to put the bin back on the bus. Originally, ASI/Riviera used pop rivets with large heads to attach the bin to the bus. I could have special ordered them, but instead I used standard stainless steel pop rivets with fender washers to add some "footprint".

A little dollop of silicone to keep the water out.

... and we're ready for Maupin!

All in all, a pretty easy job. The worst part was rounding up all the hardware. My local Ace had the machine screws, washers and nuts, but I had to go to West Marine to get the eye straps and pop rivets. With the backing plates and machine screws, I won't worry one bit about them breaking under the stress of the bungees that are used to hold all the stuff up there (Henry's tricycle specifically). Let camping season begin! If only we could have some sunshine... please?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:18 am

Well done, dtrumbo. =D> Gotta love that deep Riviera luggage rack, eh?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 am

Lookin good! I think it looks better without the poptop though. But it's a worthy mod having that extra bed.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 am

hambone wrote:Lookin good! I think it looks better without the poptop though. But it's a worthy mod having that extra bed.
I agree! It was kinda fun seeing the bus without the extra fiberglass appendage. However, I wouldn't trade that full-length double bed up top for anything!
BellePlaine wrote:Gotta love that deep Riviera luggage rack, eh?
Rivi's rule!
- Dick

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Re: Riviera Camper Luggage Bin Tie-Down Hook Replacement

Post by flyawaydesigns » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:10 am

Dtrumbo,

Our Riviera needs the same upgrade and I found the same SS brackets you mention. Did this require removal of the headliner to get access to the pop rivet attachment to the bus?
C and R
Handmade VW Bus Rear Tents
www.flyawaydesignsonline.com or flyawaydesigns@yahoo.com

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:31 pm

flyawaydesigns wrote:Dtrumbo,

Our Riviera needs the same upgrade and I found the same SS brackets you mention. Did this require removal of the headliner to get access to the pop rivet attachment to the bus?
No. The only reason to even mess with the headliner is to retrieve the stubs of the old pop rivets that you had to drill out to remove the cargo bin from the roof of the bus. I honestly can't remember the details, but I think I removed the trim strip at the back of the headliner that goes the width of the bus which either allowed me to get access between the headliner and roof, or I found out that the headliner was glued all along that transition and I left the pop-rivet stubs to lie there for the rest of days. I honestly can't remember. :shaking: I hate getting old!

Good luck with your project!
- Dick

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:00 pm

dtrumbo,

Thanx. By chance, do you have more pics that show some of the other stages of getting the fiberglass storage section off? I just wanna know what I am up for before I start.
C and R

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:26 pm

I'll check my pics when I get home from work, but getting the luggage bin off is really pretty straightforward. Simply drill out the pop-rivets and it lifts right off. Ideally you would sweep out the stubs of the old rivets that will fall down on your headliner, but the more I think about it I seem to remember that the area they fall into was not accessible. It's not like they rattle or anything and even an OCD-type like me that KNOWS they're there and they MUST be removed has been able to let it go.

Speaking of... has anyone seen these?

http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php? ... parent_id=

Sure, they're cool and I thought long and hard about it, but I couldn't bring myself to drop $40.00 for a glorified bungee cord. If someone has one and says that sliced bread has finally been eclipsed as the greatest thing, I might reconsider.

It seems they feel $40.00 is fair for a bungee cord to put on their $80,000.00 Vanagons. :ky:
- Dick

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:36 pm

dtrumbo wrote:I'll check my pics when I get home from work, but getting the luggage bin off is really pretty straightforward. Simply drill out the pop-rivets and it lifts right off. Ideally you would sweep out the stubs of the old rivets that will fall down on your headliner, but the more I think about it I seem to remember that the area they fall into was not accessible. It's not like they rattle or anything and even an OCD-type like me that KNOWS they're there and they MUST be removed has been able to let it go.

Speaking of... has anyone seen these?

http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php? ... parent_id=

Sure, they're cool and I thought long and hard about it, but I couldn't bring myself to drop $40.00 for a glorified bungee cord. If someone has one and says that sliced bread has finally been eclipsed as the greatest thing, I might reconsider.

It seems they feel $40.00 is fair for a bungee cord to put on their $80,000.00 Vanagons. :ky:

Actually, we have a plan drawn up for making a set of nice nylon tiedowns designed specifically for Rivieras. Once we get the luggage bin upgraded, we'll tackle the tie down straps. We'll test them to make sure they work, and if they do, we'll advertise them on here and on our website.

Thanx for your valuable input!!
C and R

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:31 am

That sounds great! I'll be here waiting!

BTW, I check my pics and I posted them all in this thread. Like I said though, it really is straightforward and pretty easy to do.
- Dick

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:44 pm

dtrumbo wrote: Originally, ASI/Riviera used pop rivets with large heads to attach the bin to the bus.
Must be a late ASI/Riviera thing -- I worked on a '70 several years ago, and the luggage bin was attached with long .. screws or bolts I don't specifically remember which .. through rubber isolator pieces and into threaded inserts in the roof. Plus the bin had tubular bars for the bottom, with the Bus roof visible below it. Made an excellent trap for pine needles...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!