Hi-Top?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Hi-Top?

Post by DjEep » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:45 am

Just dreaming right now, but if I found a high top in a junkyard or something, would it be ok to put it on my 71 deluxe? I know my westy is a sunroof w/ a poptop on it, so the roof was made to have that hole. But would it be safe to cut the roof, maybe w/ some additional cross support added?

I met a green 71 deluxe just like mine w/ a hightop and it made me :alien: with envy.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Hi-Top?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:34 am

DjEep wrote: would it be safe to cut the roof, maybe w/ some additional cross support added?
People hack at these cars all the time. They will tell you yes. I have found that VW does a comprehensive engineering tweak to allow a big hole up there, with buttressing along the roof at the gutters and torque plates under the floor. Your '71 is a worthy vehicle as-is, one of the sought-after bays.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:51 am

Don't do it! Find one already converted. They're not makin these any more...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:25 am

I agree with Hambone.

I DO love the hight toppers though, so much useful storage and that much more ridiculous looking.....they look like the 'alpha' rhinocerous. :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:37 am

I know I know... Maybe I thought since I already saved him from being parted and cubed, I had earned some hack points from the VW deities or something. :blackeye:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:40 am

DjEep wrote:I thought I had earned some hack points from the VW deities or something. :blackeye:
Thou Hast Not. Go Forth and Blaspheme No More.
:king:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:52 am

I also have a hebmuller I was planning on baha-ing....

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:44 pm

What about the westy? My girlfriend really wants to put a hightop on the westy for more space on the road. Not really a hack, since the hole is already there.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:51 pm

Sure. Anything that is reversible, go fer it.
Colin

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:26 pm

I wouldn't do it. I think high tops are unattractive and they actually have less headroom than a poptop with the top popped. They also use more gas and are more likely to be blown around on the freeway.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:02 pm

covelo wrote:I think high tops are unattractive
We disagree. I think they look silly, but all buses look silly and that is one reason why I love them.
covelo wrote:they actually have less headroom than a poptop with the top popped.
Yes, but you can't drive with the top popped.

I know you're fairly tall, but there is plenty of headroom in a high top for us. She wants it more for the storage space. Would make it a lot easier to boondock if we didn't have to use the bed for storage.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:13 pm

I've camped with 5 people and a Weekender and all the crap. Also camped with 4 adults and all the gear in a '73 Super many many times, 4 hour trips. Less is more! :cherry:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:25 pm

We wanna cram 3 people and maybe a dog on the road to the Arctic. Gonna get real tight.

Probably won't find one nearby anyway, but if I do....

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:12 pm

I know this thread's kinda old, but I just had to chime in.

Stay away from hightops! They're awesome, but...

That's what the GWB looked like under the top.

:(

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:00 am

I guess I missed this thread, but with DJeps revived interest in high tops I thought I'd weigh in with my input.

Duroc, your hightop was thrashed underneath. That sucks. I can say though it doesn't have to be like that. Mine is totally fine underneath with NO rust and my high top has well over 500k of rough road miles put on it.

As for them being ugly, its all a preference. People probably will think I'm sick but I actually think mine looks sportier with the top :drunken: It's kind of like a bull dog with its stocky front and the thinning top in the back.

Personally the Rivi's are ugly, but I'd still take one if I could get my hands on one. I'm half tempted to buy this one down in oregon and just hang onto it for the crazy top.

They don't get that much worse gas mileage, I can eek out 21mpg with my type 1 engine and dual carbs! Although I'll say mountain passes equals 16-18 fer sure. Engine won't last as long because of the extra load and the tops aren't as high as a popped camper, but for my wife and I we can stand up and walk around in ours no problem.

Ours is also only high in the very center of the bus between the two cross beams so no sleeping up top, but we don't need it. The storage is unbelievable and I gotta say in a storm I'd take my high top any day over a pop top. Also definately easier to camp secretly when you need to since the top is always up.

Anyway, thats enough of my ramblings. :joker:
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav: