1976 Bus - Front Door Window Removal Problems

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

1976 Bus - Front Door Window Removal Problems

Post by BellePlaine » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:33 am

I'm trying to remove my door windows/regulators from my parts bus and I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to get the front guide channel off of its channel. I'm stuck on step #8

[albumimg]2909[/albumimg]

I tried using a screwdriver to push on the guide channel through this hole but it doesn't move very well. Thoughts.

[albumimg]2911[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2910[/albumimg]
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1976 Bus - Front Door Window Removal Problems

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:33 am

BellePlaine wrote:I'm trying to remove my door windows/regulators from my parts bus and I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to get the front guide channel off of its channel.
It is definitely a sucky moment. Remove the upper window felt from along the top for a foot or so. It is glommed onto mean retainer clips that make you bleed. Remove the screw that fastens the top of the vent window frame to the top of the door, it is a phillips screw hidden under the window felt that you just pulled down. There is a tab on the vent window frame that the screw goes through. This tab hangs up against the outer window moulding/scraper assembly near the window felt retainer that you might also have to remove. It must be pried down a little to clear it, because what you have to do is move the top of the vent window frame backwards as you shove the bottom of the vent window frame forward so the lower tab clears the sandwich of metal that comprises the door right where you removed the 10mm bolt. You will be battling window regulator junk in the way as well, unless you remove all of its 10mm screws. It is a mess in there. I tape the window frame with electrical tape so it doesn't get scratched as you haul the vent window frame backwards at the top and forward at the bottom, this will free your glass and regulator. If you want to remove the entire vent window assembly, slide the whole dang thing upwards at a crazy angle to clear the entire door.
Good luck. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Re: 1976 Bus - Front Door Window Removal Problems

Post by BellePlaine » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:I'm trying to remove my door windows/regulators from my parts bus and I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to get the front guide channel off of its channel.
It is definitely a sucky moment. Remove the upper window felt from along the top for a foot or so. It is glommed onto mean retainer clips that make you bleed. Remove the screw that fastens the top of the vent window frame to the top of the door, it is a phillips screw hidden under the window felt that you just pulled down. There is a tab on the vent window frame that the screw goes through. This tab hangs up against the outer window moulding/scraper assembly near the window felt retainer that you might also have to remove. It must be pried down a little to clear it, because what you have to do is move the top of the vent window frame backwards as you shove the bottom of the vent window frame forward so the lower tab clears the sandwich of metal that comprises the door right where you removed the 10mm bolt. You will be battling window regulator junk in the way as well, unless you remove all of its 10mm screws. It is a mess in there. I tape the window frame with electrical tape so it doesn't get scratched as you haul the vent window frame backwards at the top and forward at the bottom, this will free your glass and regulator. If you want to remove the entire vent window assembly, slide the whole dang thing upwards at a crazy angle to clear the entire door.
Good luck. . .
Colin

Wow, hat's off to the Germans who assembled my Bay Window bus' front doors. What a goofy mess! The tab that Colin mentioned was frustrating. In addition to the upper window felt, I had to remove the lower window rubber scrapers to get that tab to clear something metal inside the door frame. It is all out and I can rest for a while until I tackle to job of replacing the lower rubber scrapers on my good bus. I'm not looking forward to it. Thanks again, Colin and THANKS FOR NOTHING BENTLEY! :-)
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"