1972 Deluxe Bus - Need Help Openin the back hatch

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

1972 Deluxe Bus - Need Help Openin the back hatch

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Hey Guys, I've got a 72 Deluxe 8 Passenger Microbus and I need to get the back hatch door opened. I was never given any keys for my bus. Can I just drill it out like I did the ignition?? Are these latches (w/keys) easy to find? I dont wanna fuss nuttin up without askin first. Another quick question. Can I lift the top part of my engine bay through the hatch? You know, to make it easier to work on the motor? I would still like to open the hatch door either way.
Thanks.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 pm

72's do not have the hatch over the engine....in the rear deck....the only year with a type 4 engine not to. No reason why you cant drill the lock but if it runs and drives, take it to lock smith and they can pick it for cheap.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 am

From inside the bus, try removing the rear hatch panel. This is the vinyl covered piece that goes the full width of the rear hatch at the bottom. Typically it's held on by push-in clips. Once that's off, you can manually actuate the release mechanism and open the hatch. You then can remove the lock tumbler and take it to a locksmith where they can key it to match your door/ignition key. No drilling or ruining anything required.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:10 am

My Kombi has a slot cut in the rear panel to pull on the lever from the inside at anytime.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:43 am

Try using yours or someone else's key anyway. On my '72 I found that 3/4 of the Bus keys I tried worked. It's a bad flaw when the locks wear. That's why I sent the locks from my new Bus to Gabriel to be reconditioned. On a friends I found that, with my key, I could unlock most of the doors but not start it.

Gabriel over at Samba can re-key all your locks and cut you some NOS keys. Great prices too!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks for the responses. Gonna try pullin the coverboard off first to see if I can access it. I think I tried all my VW keys already, but i'll double check. My bus isn't runnin yet, so takin it to a locksmith is outta the question.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:06 am

I think Trumbo meant that when you have opened the hatch you can remove the hardware and take the hardware in to the locksmith.

Hal gave me a Vanagon door handle that works with my current door keys.

Not even gonna say what keys ( or pocket knives, ir dimes, or bottlecaps...) open my back hatch...

Hey waitaminute, that didn't sound right....
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....