Remove rear side windows and preserve seal? - Late bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Remove rear side windows and preserve seal? - Late bus

Post by bretski » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:03 am

I have been scrutinizing the bus lately, looking for rust issues that need tackling before they become problems. Last night, I pulled off the slider cover, and saw that there is some surface rust at the base of the rear side window seal. A similar issue is developing on the other side.

My window seals are in decent shape, and I'd rather not have to sacrifice them in order to get the windows out. Does anyone know of a technique that will allow me to remove these windows without destroying the seals?

Thanks!
-Bret

edit: clarified which windows
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 am

It's possible to remove them and keep the seal, but honestly it isn't worth the trouble. I'd rather buy a new window seal than a new window.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:25 am

I hear ya, it's a balancing act. I'm trying to avoid another $70+ for 2 new seals if at all possible.

It was just suggested to me to get the seal wamed and softened, then try to work it out from the top-middle section (with a helper on the outside ready to catch). Suggested tool was popsicle-stick and/or large flatblade screwdriver.

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:21 am

bretski wrote:I hear ya, it's a balancing act. I'm trying to avoid another $70+ for 2 new seals if at all possible.

It was just suggested to me to get the seal wamed and softened, then try to work it out from the top-middle section (with a helper on the outside ready to catch). Suggested tool was popsicle-stick and/or large flatblade screwdriver.
You are talking rear side windows? Plastic blade (a ground down putty spreader is perfect), slather dishwashing detergent and water work it in between the pinch weld and the rubber from the inside perimeter along the top to the sides. Do NOT start pressing the window out at the top middle. Start the actual working of the seal over the pinchweld at the upper rear corners where the radius is forgiving.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:50 am

Amskeptic wrote:You are talking rear side windows?
Yessir. Updated original post to clarify.

Maybe something to tackle during your visit next month...we can work some Zen on the seals.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:28 pm

Well, I spent some more "quality time" with Klaus this evening (work sucked today; bus time makes me feel better). After additional scrutiny and consideration, I think the seals should be replaced. The rear hatch needs serious attention, and once I get started on that, maybe I'll get motivated to do the windshield work as well.

Even additional consideration tells me that I should wait until after camping season, lest I be denied a spur-of-the-moment weekend trip 'cause the rear hatch window is out. :king: