Front Door Stuck

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manfred
Old School!

Front Door Stuck

Post by Manfred » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Hello all,

So the PO ran my bus into a parked car. The front passenger side door is stuck closed. I have talked to a VW restoration guy about fixing it. He can fix it, but his shop is pretty far away. I was wondering if any body shop could fix this for me or is it better to have an VW restoration shop handle it.

It's not a must have. I'm going to get the front end fixed by the VW shop anyway, but I wouldn't mind getting this fixed a little sooner because its annoying.

http://picasaweb.google.com/beaver.jaso ... 3873817730

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm

You've got some work ahead of you.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm

chitwnvw wrote:You've got some work ahead of you.
Correction: The body shop has some work ahead of them. I have a lot of money to spend ahead of me. :pirate:

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm

If the door and front clip are going to be repaired/replaced anyway, just get all manly on it where it binds with the leading edge. Pry bars and hammers come to mind. Just bend some steel wiff yo hands till it stops binding.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:37 pm

have you thought about kicking the lock from the inside, then playing with the metal afterwards if/where needed?

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:44 pm

skin daddio wrote:have you thought about kicking the lock from the inside, then playing with the metal afterwards if/where needed?

What do you mean "kicking the lock side to side"?

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:04 pm

Manfred wrote:
skin daddio wrote:have you thought about kicking the lock from the inside, then playing with the metal afterwards if/where needed?

What do you mean "kicking the lock side to side"?
ask someone to hold the handle on the outside, depressing the latch. sitting sideways in the driver's seat, determine where the lock is and pop that mother thing with a size ten.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:08 pm

skin daddio wrote: ask someone to hold the handle on the outside, depressing the latch. sitting sideways in the driver's seat, determine where the lock is and pop that mother thing with a size ten.
Ok. I'm on the trolley now. I have slammed my shoulder against it while opening the inside door latch. No joy.

I'll try your way and see what happens.

Thanks much!

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Manfred wrote:
skin daddio wrote: ask someone to hold the handle on the outside, depressing the latch. sitting sideways in the driver's seat, determine where the lock is and pop that mother thing with a size ten.
Ok. I'm on the trolley now. I have slammed my shoulder against it while opening the inside door latch. No joy.

I'll try your way and see what happens.

Thanks much!
careful, i saw someone smash a window this way so don't be too agro. definitely get close to the lock, and err on the go-easy side.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 pm

I tried this method this weekend. It worked! But still can't really use that door. In need to get it fixed.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Manfred wrote:

I tried this method this weekend. It worked! But still can't really use that door. In need to get it fixed.

Immediate Mexican Bodywork:
Get two stout 2X4s and a couple of 4X4 "distance pieces" and a bottle or sturdy scissors jack. You can jack the door opening wider front to rear so the door does not jam.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Colin, that's brilliant.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:44 am

Amskeptic wrote: Immediate Mexican Bodywork:
Get two stout 2X4s and a couple of 4X4 "distance pieces" and a bottle or sturdy scissors jack. You can jack the door opening wider front to rear so the door does not jam.
Colin

I'm kind of dense. I understand how the boards and jack will work, but where do I place them?

The door is pushed rear. The lip of the trailing edge of the door is pushed about 2 inches passed where it should be after I pushed it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78bus/3367341285/

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 pm

The door is pushed back because the nose? is pushed back. Need to try pushing the nose back towards where it belongs. If you do the jack thing leave the slider closed, or brace the front slider jamb with something very stout.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 pm

You could even run a 2 by across both door bay, ie driver and passenger and then jack away.