Footwell step pads

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

Footwell step pads

Post by satchmo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 pm

On a 1973 and later bus, what is the consensus: To glue or not to glue the rubber step pads when you install them?

I had a fair amount of pitting rust there when I bought my bus. I tried to clean it up and used some POR15. I used weatherstrip adhesive under the edges of the pad. Still plenty of rust there when I removed them today. That sheet metal seam/groove under the pad doesn't help either. I think it just retains water.

So today I got the grinder out, tried to flatten things a little, wire wheel, then abrasive pad. I used some good filler, then I will sand smooth, prime, base coat, and clear coat. I hope that takes care of things for a while.

Any adhesive needed after that? Or should I go commando and just rely on the little plugs to hold it in place?

Thanks, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:31 am

Hi Tim,

Do *not* use adhesive of any kind on the step pads. It will trap water, starting your problem all over again. They came from the factory attached only by the plugs, so they could drain and breathe...and resist rust. :)
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:45 pm

bretski wrote:Hi Tim,

Do *not* use adhesive of any kind on the step pads. It will trap water, starting your problem all over again. They came from the factory attached only by the plugs, so they could drain and breathe...and resist rust. :)
Jawohl, Herr Bretski.

I got two coats of body filler on, sanded smooth, then primed today. I hate getting the spray gun out for little stuff, so I decided to paint the floor of my cargo bay too. I primed a couple spots there. Base coat and top coat this weekend, perhaps.

Thanks, Tim

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:25 am

Right on. Got pics???
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 am

They came from the factory glued down and located by the plastic lugs.
I recommend that they be glue free so you can clean under them and touch up as necessary. I find that I have to touch up under them about once a year.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:57 am

Mine weren't too bad on the front bumper. Maybe because they're outside and tend to drain better? Dunno. But you cats don't gotta deal with this antiquey stuff.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 am

hambone wrote:Mine weren't too bad on the front bumper. Maybe because they're outside and tend to drain better? Dunno. But you cats don't gotta deal with this antiquey stuff.

Yeah, you old bus people don't have to worry about it. You have to worry about the entire bracket tearing loose of the front dogleg. We're all antique-y, Hambone, and we all only get antique-ier.
Colintique

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 am

:cheers: Me too! Funny aches that linger OOOO DAT AIN'T RIGHT says my paranoid self.
-Bobcoot
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:32 pm

bretski wrote:Right on. Got pics???
Yes, here are a few I took after I got some urethane primer/sealer on. I ran out of time for more than that, plus I got carried away and did the floor of the cargo bay and the rear hatch lip that was all scratched up.

I'll be out of town for a week and when I get back, I will scuff the primer with some 600 or 800 grit sandpaper, then apply the base coat and clear coat.

I'm still trying to figure out how to apply two color coats followed by two clear coats on the floor of the cargo bay when the paint is still wet. I'm toying with putting the seat bolts in and laying a piece of plywood over them to keep me off the floor so I can reach the far corners.

Tim

[albumimg]2312[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2313[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2314[/albumimg]

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:08 pm

I finished the paint. It turned out okay. I hope this keeps the rust away.

Tim

[albumimg]2318[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2319[/albumimg]

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:56 pm

satchmo wrote:I finished the paint. It turned out okay. I hope this keeps the rust away.
Tim
Looks good. Don't be surprised or dismayed if new rust slowly returns along that longitudinal seam, ya just touch it up.
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Looks good. Don't be surprised or dismayed if new rust slowly returns along that longitudinal seam, ya just touch it up.
Colin
With rust the vigil is eternal. Nice Job, Tim.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
satchmo wrote:I finished the paint. It turned out okay. I hope this keeps the rust away.
Tim
Colin
Take a close look at the pics. I filled in that longitudinal seam because I think it retains water.

I will be more than a little PO'd if rust returns here, even slowly. I ground the pitting down as much as I could followed by a wire wheel. Then I applied some stuff called Rust Mort to get rid of any remaining iron oxide. I filled everything in with high quality filler and sanded it smooth. Then two coats of epoxy primer/sealer, two coats of color, and two coats of urethane clear.

Like I said, I don't want to see rust here again.

Tim

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:05 pm

satchmo wrote:

Jawohl, Herr Bretski.

I got two coats of body filler on, sanded smooth, then primed today. I hate getting the spray gun out for little stuff, so I decided to paint the floor of my cargo bay too. I primed a couple spots there. Base coat and top coat this weekend, perhaps.

Thanks, Tim

Looking good Tim!!!

I could keep that spray gun busy for awhile.........(wink wink)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"