Rear Seat Belt Hardware

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

locoqueso
Addicted!

Rear Seat Belt Hardware

Post by locoqueso » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 am

I don’t think the rear seat belts in my 78 westy have ever been used, or even installed. I received them from the PO in a box without any extra hardware. I removed one of the attachment bolts from the body of the bus and it had two rubber washers, one black and one red. I was expecting a metal washer to be on the bolt, but now I'm thinking the rubber was used to keep fumes from getting inside. Did the factory only use rubber washers with the bolt or am I missing some of the hardware?

I checked my manuals and couldn’t find any info about the seat belts. If I’m supposed to reuse the rubber washers, I’m assuming they’re installed in this order…

Body >>> Black Washer >>> Seat Belt >>> Red Washer >>> Bolt

Can anyone confirm how the rear seat belts would have been installed from the factory?
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Rear Seat Belt Hardware

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:21 am

locoqueso wrote:I don’t think the rear seat belts in my 78 westy have ever been used, or even installed. I received them from the PO in a box without any extra hardware. I removed one of the attachment bolts from the body of the bus and it had two rubber washers, one black and one red. I was expecting a metal washer to be on the bolt, but now I'm thinking the rubber was used to keep fumes from getting inside. Did the factory only use rubber washers with the bolt or am I missing some of the hardware?

I checked my manuals and couldn’t find any info about the seat belts. If I’m supposed to reuse the rubber washers, I’m assuming they’re installed in this order…

Body >>> Black Washer >>> Seat Belt >>> Red Washer >>> Bolt

Can anyone confirm how the rear seat belts would have been installed from the factory?
Your thinking is sound. Is there a metal washer over the red washer to keep it from deforming under compression?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:19 am

No metal washers at all, just two rubber washers with slightly different diameters. The black washer is a little wider than the red washer. It looks like all four of the bolts were assembled with the same pattern:

Body >>> Black Rubber Washer >>> Red Rubber Washer >>> Bolt

The rear seat belts look brand new so I’m guessing the bolts may not have ever been removed. I’ve removed one bolt and the red washer is slightly deformed on the face that touched the head of the bolt, but it doesn’t look too bad. The washers feel mildly hard from age although they don’t feel like they’re going to crumble or break.

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I went ahead and installed the seat belt over the weekend. I decided to go with a metal washer along with the two rubber washers. I ended up installing them in this order:

Body >>> Black Rubber Washer >>> Red Rubber Washer >>> Seat Belt >>> Metal Washer >>> Bolt

I thought keeping the rubber washers together would make a better seal against the body and the metal washer would help between the seat belt and bolt.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 pm

locoqueso wrote:I went ahead and installed the seat belt over the weekend. I decided to go with a metal washer along with the two rubber washers. I ended up installing them in this order:

Body >>> Black Rubber Washer >>> Red Rubber Washer >>> Seat Belt >>> Metal Washer >>> Bolt

I thought keeping the rubber washers together would make a better seal against the body and the metal washer would help between the seat belt and bolt.
I am an idiot. I was thinking of "not deforming the red washer with the bolt by use of a metal washer". . . . well, duh, the seatbelt anchor IS the metal washer in this case. BUT, no problem here.
Colinidiot
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles