And Colin, About That Vent Window.......

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

And Colin, About That Vent Window.......

Post by Bookwus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:01 pm

Hiya Colin.......and anybody else who might have ideas about the following,

I'm trying to remove one of the (non front door) vent windows. I groped around under the seal and found the two locking tabs. Got those bent out straight and "unlocked". But I'm in a bit of a quandry right now. That vent window is in there like a rock. I tried lifting the inside of the seal and pushing out, but this thing ain't budging. Makes me wonder why the clips are in there in the first place.

Anyhow, I don't want to use the "might makes right" approach for fear of doing the bus bodily harm. So..........what's the next step in getting this thing out? Any tips or tricks would certainly be appreciated at this point in the proceedings.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: And Colin, About That Vent Window.......

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 pm

Bookwus wrote:That vent window is in there like a rock. I tried lifting the inside of the seal and pushing out, but this thing ain't budging. Makes me wonder why the clips are in there in the first place.

Anyhow, I don't want to use the "might makes right" approach for fear of doing the bus bodily harm. So..........what's the next step in getting this thing out? Any tips or tricks would certainly be appreciated at this point in the proceedings.
If you can slather the inside of the rubber on the inside with some waterless hand cleaner, open the vent window so the frame can give a little, you should be able to give it a good broadly supported shove along the leading edge, do not push at the big window side.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:22 am

Hey Bookwus,
How's that vent window? :pirate:
Colin

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:50 am

Hiya Colin,

The vent window is now out.

I removed it and took a couple of days to rehab the frame, fix the broken bottom post on the glass surround, and install a new seal. Once I got the new seal on I laid the window assembly down on the bench. The side that would normally be outside was face up. I filled that side up with about a quarter inch of water. No leaks. Things are looking good.

In the meantime, my wife managed to sprain her wrist so my assistant is out for a few more days. When she is all healed up we'll give the installation a go.

While she has been out, I've been working on the engine tear-down and clean-up. I have most of the parts bagged and boxed right now. Paid a visit over to Dan Hall's (gave 'em the Howya doin' thing) and got a look at their services offered and price list. I'm gonna have them measure the saddles and all for size and align bore. Not that I think the case needs it - more a situation of they have the tools and know how to use 'em and I wanna be sure the case is OK. Is there any quick way to tell if the bearings are oversized? The makings that I have found do say "standard", but there are some measurement markings also.

The crank looks good. I'll clean and polish it myself. I'll probably have a couple of Cranks for Dummies kinda questions for you later. Cam looks OK too - anything special to look for on it? The lifters all have a "cam face" on them where the cam has made contact. But they also have the required convex head shape.

Oh yeah, about the heads.............when were taking a look at them, do you recall one head with a crack between the valve seats? 'Cause it sure is there now. I can't recall that there was one there, but I was fielding a bunch of new onfo and I simply may have forgotten.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Colin,

The vent window is now out.

I removed it and took a couple of days to rehab the frame, fix the broken bottom post on the glass surround, and install a new seal. Once I got the new seal on I laid the window assembly down on the bench. The side that would normally be outside was face up. I filled that side up with about a quarter inch of water. No leaks. Things are looking good.

In the meantime, my wife managed to sprain her wrist so my assistant is out for a few more days. When she is all healed up we'll give the installation a go.
Let us hope all goes well. Cut and paste all that engine gobbledegook over to the "Engine Forum." I'll answer you there.
Colin

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Hiya Colin,

Roger. Willco. Over and out.
I have cancer.