sliding door retainer bracket

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu May 29, 2008 1:51 pm

I'll do the pics tomorrow or Saturday...where'd you find the spring? From Ken?
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Thu May 29, 2008 2:01 pm

bretski wrote:I'll do the pics tomorrow or Saturday...where'd you find the spring? From Ken?
Yup--thanks for the tip. He's got one for Spiffy, too.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu May 29, 2008 2:02 pm

Now we just get to look forward to installing that little bugger. :pukeleft:

Nothing like taking 10 parts off just to change 1.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu May 29, 2008 2:37 pm

Ritter wrote:Yup--thanks for the tip. He's got one for Spiffy, too.
Excellent. He just helped me out with some NLA brake parts.

For other folks' reference:

TheBusCo

Ken is a good guy, with fair pricing. Recommended!

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat May 31, 2008 4:30 pm

I'm trying to get you guys some pictures, but I can't get the dang slider cover off. Bentley says there are 3 screws, I only have 2 on the underside. I don't have the retaining screw they describe, either. Finally, Bentley says there's a nut and bolt accessible from the passenger compartment, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Do I just need to persuade it off with a rubber mallet?

:scratch:

Edit:
Persuasion was the ticket. Block of wood and a rubber mallet. Damn it, Bentley! Those fasteners you describe don't exist on my bus! :angryfire:

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat May 31, 2008 5:23 pm

Here you go, boys:

Never mind the spider condominiums...

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:07 am

Thanks for the photos. I should have the spring in hand in the next day or so, so they will be most helpful.

Yeah, slider cover is held on with on bolt and one screw. Who knew?!
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:08 am

bretski wrote:I'm trying to get you guys some pictures, but I can't get the dang slider cover off. Bentley says there are 3 screws, I only have 2 on the underside. I don't have the retaining screw they describe, either. Finally, Bentley says there's a nut and bolt accessible from the passenger compartment, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Do I just need to persuade it off with a rubber mallet?

:scratch:

Edit:
Persuasion was the ticket. Block of wood and a rubber mallet. Damn it, Bentley! Those fasteners you describe don't exist on my bus! :angryfire:
I was hoping you could confirm how that attaches, I took off my cover a month or so ago to clean up the rust and now I don't know how it goes back on. I think it has to be 3 bolts and retaining clips (like the ones on the dash) on the otherside to hold it firm. But it sounds like you have a different method of attaching. VW changes the strangest things. Can you imagine the heated engineers meeting where they battle it out over whether to change the method of attaching the sliding over.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 am

Yeah, I hear ya about the engineering meeting. LOL...

What year are we talking about (for your situation)? The method of removal/attachment is definitely a year-specific thing, as I found out. On my '78, it's just a matter of 2 rusted-solid screws, and a long clip. I'm still contemplating what to do about the clean-up of the area. The slider track is dirty, but not too rusty. I do have a little surface rust toward the air-intake, right under the window seal.

The cover itself is in serious need of rehabilitation. The backside has nasty rust. At this point, my thought is wire-wheel, Masterseries, and fresh Dakota Beige. I'm pretty much done with POR15, but that's another thread...

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:04 pm

I have a '73.

What do you like about the Masterseries. Used POR-15 for this side, but still need to do the other side ( and lots of other areas ) and I have a quart of Master that's been sitting on my shelf for a year or two, hopefully it's still good.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Does your setup look like this?

If so: You need to put the retaining strip #19 in first (loosely). Now put the cover and beading into the gap between the body and the retainer. You'll need to do it at an angle. If you try to do it straight up and down you'll be cursing the VW gods for sure. Use a block of wood or closed fist to tap it in. Before you start tapping it in, check your front to back alignment. If the screw holes don't line up, you'll have to start over. Having a helper will make the job much easier.

If you just have the clip welded to the body and two screws (like mine), the installation is simpler, angle the cover in a tad, slip the beading in-between, and tap into place (it's all in the angle of the dangle :) ) Again, just make sure to have the screw holes in the proper front-to-back orientation.

Hope that helps a little, and I was not too scatter-brained in the description.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:23 pm

bretski wrote:Does your setup look like this?

That must be it, because I have the three holes. I don't remember any retaining strip, though. :<

It all started with this:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=2425

And so I replaced the seal on that window thinking it was leaking, nope. So I removed the slider cover looking for possible entrances of water. Nope. So Turk and I took out the interior. Not sure where it was coming from, but I found where water was making it's way between the floor and the outer skin.

I am now putting it all back together and I don't recall any restraining strip but then I don't know where I put the beading either. I'll have to look through the pile that was the interior tonight. Thanks.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:28 pm

chitwnvw wrote:What do you like about the Masterseries. Used POR-15 for this side, but still need to do the other side ( and lots of other areas ) and I have a quart of Master that's been sitting on my shelf for a year or two, hopefully it's still good.
In re the Masterseries Silver: I like it better for a few reasons.

One, the preparation. POR requires 2-3 prep steps before you even get a coat down. With the Masterseries, wire-wheel the crusty stuff off, rinse/dry, and paint.

Two, the price. Masterseries costs half as much as POR.

Three, the build-up properties. Having tried both products on my frame and undercarriage, the Masterseries really fills-in the nooks and crannies, and builds up the surface. There's a high metal content in the paint.

Four, UV stability. POR15 must be topcoated, or it'll break-down in the sun. Masterseries has no such problem...unaffected by UV, so you don't have to topcoat it.

When I run out of the quart of MS that I have, I might also try the KBS product (I've read good reviews)...maybe. But I'm done paying for POR15's marketing department budget. There's better stuff out there for less $$.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 pm

chitwnvw wrote:That must be it, because I have the three holes. I don't remember any retaining strip, though. :<

<snip>

I am now putting it all back together and I don't recall any restraining strip but then I don't know where I put the beading either. I'll have to look through the pile that was the interior tonight. Thanks.
Post up a picture of your slider track, and we'll figure it out. Inre the beading, I got replacement stuff from either WW or OEVeeDub...can't remember which at the moment...

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:20 pm

bretski wrote:I got replacement stuff from either WW or OEVeeDub...can't remember which at the moment...
Good to know there's a replacement out there, the original is not great shakes after 35 years of exposure.

Most of my headaches with the Por is that it's moisture cured. I don't trust it or any product to keep an area rust free forever, which seems to be why a lot of people gravitate toward the POR solution. I figure I'll always have to give the bus a good once over in the spring and the fall. Must ve vigilante with the rust.