Problem and solution: door lock reinstallation

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jtauxe
Addicted!

Problem and solution: door lock reinstallation

Post by jtauxe » Thu May 22, 2008 12:41 pm

I removed the door locks all around from my '77 Westy to have all the cylinders rekeyed and to service the lock mechanisms, gummed up to the point where I felt like I was going to break off a key. Removal of the door lock mechanisms was a real PITA, but reinstallation went easy... except for one little detail: How to get the threaded rod from the lock mechanism to the pull knob (at the back of the window) back through the little hole?

To clarify: The problem is that once the mechanism is close to its proper location, you have to somehow feed the rod (about 3 mm diameter, and threaded at the top end to accept the black plastic pull knob) up through the hole in the door frame near the back of the window. There is not enough space for my thick hands to get in there, and it proved too difficult to try to get it using the hit-or-miss technique. :scratch:

So, I found a brilliant solution:

A new tool is necessary, but is easily obtained: A plastic drinking straw.

Take the straw and feed it down through the hole, careful not to let it completely fall through. With it hanging down into the door inner space about 15 cm, it is not hard to feed the rod into the end of the straw. Once that is accomplished, move the lock mechanism into place, and the straw acts as a guide for the rod, and it goes right up through the hole. Yay!

I don't know how the original factory installers did it, but this worked like a charm. :cheers:
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu May 22, 2008 12:58 pm

Nice! Necessity is still the mother of invention. =D>
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio