Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Accelerator Pedal Repair Kit sold by AirHead Parts. It arrived with a bunch of Wolfsburg West's stickers with part numbers. The pin is pressed into the plate. First push on the pedal and the pin broke off. The snap washer broke in half when I was installing it. I only ended up using the two tiny springs out of the whole kit. I e-mailed AirHead and was told it would be credited back to my account. Not sure why they continue to sell this stuff if it's not gonna work :scratch:
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:04 pm

bajaman72 wrote:Accelerator Pedal Repair Kit sold by AirHead Parts. It arrived with a bunch of Wolfsburg West's stickers with part numbers. The pin is pressed into the plate. First push on the pedal and the pin broke off. The snap washer broke in half when I was installing it. I only ended up using the two tiny springs out of the whole kit. I e-mailed AirHead and was told it would be credited back to my account. Not sure why they continue to sell this stuff if it's not gonna work :scratch:
Thanks for the heads-up. I am curious about the Wolfsburg West stickers/numbers.
Do you have any numbers still readable?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Hate to do this, but I am sticking Sherwin Williams custom paint matching here.

I have had it up to here with leaking nozzles, dripping nozzles, yes, but the last few paint purchases have also had lousy paint. I swear they have switched without telling me or something, switched the aerosol chemistry so all cans everywhere match California's low VOC formula. The paint is horrible. You can lay a beautiful three coats down, superb gloss, and the next morning it is as flat as army camoflage with billions of tiny holes from escaping solvents. Just repulsive, and the counter help was unresponsive,
"We don't guarantee paint matches, it says so right there!"
"I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THAT YET."
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:53 am

Has Duplicolor Engine Enamel been added here yet? It should be. Their building primer has performed most excellent for me, but the Engine Enamel was crap coming out of the can and crap once it dried. I WISH it dried nice enough to call the finish "orange peel." While shaking the can every ten seconds or so of spraying and holding it perfectly upright, it would just stop spraying for a few seconds at a time. The Rustoleum EE shoots better, and doesn't require color sanding to get it to look presentable.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:35 pm

asiab3 wrote:Has Duplicolor Engine Enamel been added here yet? It should be. Their building primer has performed most excellent for me, but the Engine Enamel was crap coming out of the can and crap once it dried. I WISH it dried nice enough to call the finish "orange peel." While shaking the can every ten seconds or so of spraying and holding it perfectly upright, it would just stop spraying for a few seconds at a time. The Rustoleum EE shoots better, and doesn't require color sanding to get it to look presentable.
Yes, Duplicolor went around the bend. For typical engine enamel applications, the Rustoleum 500* Engine Enamel has excellent coverage, gloss, and lo and behold, durability. Be very sure that you read the cans, it is easy to get the garden variety black because the cans look so similar.

Used to use Plastikote. That is what I painted the Road Warrior with.
Then FLAPS stopped stocking Plastikote and switched to Duplicolor.
Dropping in quality while prices keep going up.
I am still annoyed with Sherwin Williams, after five weeks of curing, the Sherwin Williams paint lifted like crayon under the 3M polishing compound after the color-sanding.
Email to Sherwin Williams executive suite en route.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:13 pm

The above is a new $34.95 emblem from Bus Depot fresh out of the protective foam envelope.
Front Emblem
Chromed plastic, for Mid 72-79 Bus.
Part Reference Number: 241853601E
Availability: Usually ships in 1-3 working days (sooner if Expedited/Express shipping is chosen)
$34.95 Bestseller
Qty: 1

The catalogue picture was almost as compelling as the big fluffy nla factory original Type 4 engine seal that they photograph in lieu of the skinny-ass actual seal sent out to us ever-hopeful-but-sure-to-be-disappointed customers.

It is as pitted as any emblem stuck to the nose of a bus for 50,000 miles. I do not know how it made it through the entire supply chain without notice. I have conducted an inquiry to see if there is a better one in stock. I have inquired as to its origins. I will report on correspondences . . .

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:51 pm

Ouch. I had an early bus door pull (with the chrome ends) show up like that from Just Kampers. Odd, because one was perfect. They immediately sent me a new one, but I don't see how one would have been pitted and not the other.

Do you have a write-up about the foam seal somewhere? Was this the one for Chloe? Or a new one for Naranja?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm

asiab3 wrote:Ouch. I had an early bus door pull (with the chrome ends) show up like that from Just Kampers. Odd, because one was perfect. They immediately sent me a new one, but I don't see how one would have been pitted and not the other.

Do you have a write-up about the foam seal somewhere? Was this the one for Chloe? Or a new one for Naranja?

Robbie
I'll do a cross-section comparison.
Ron may say that the cheap crescent cross-section seal is all we can get now, but let's photograph the crescent seal offerings since that IS WHAT WE ARE GETTING.
Colin :cyclopsani:

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Found a NOS rubber fuel filler neck on the left in the picture. Rather different than the repo that I bought (2nd one) as the repo is pretty thin rubber and isn't as long at all. Why can't they just make good parts like the oem ones?
Attachments
IMG_9699.jpg
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:53 am

Bleyseng wrote:Why can't they just make good parts like the oem ones?
I know, right? Why go through all of the motions, all of the tooling, all of the dimension checks, then scrimp on material and shorten and thin out and use crap ingredients, I don't get it.
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:28 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Found a NOS rubber fuel filler neck on the left in the picture. Rather different than the repo that I bought (2nd one) as the repo is pretty thin rubber and isn't as long at all. Why can't they just make good parts like the oem ones?
Deep down inside, we know why we don't get good, quality aftermarket parts. VW people are cheap. Plain and simple. Many of us (myself included) get stuck in our 80's pricing for parts for these cars. I've learned the hard way and now pony up for the best quality parts I can buy. Many others are perfectly content with EMPI's finest offerings at the lowest price.

We can't lose sight that these old VW were entry level transportation for people on the lower steps of annual income. In many cases, they are still in that category. With the increasing pricing and respect our old VW's are getting now in the collector car world, we need to be hopeful that people will be willing to reproduce these parts to a higher level. Many new owners of these VW's are baby boomers who grew up with them as kids and now have the money to spend on good parts. We just need to continue to hope that more and more folks will pony up for these more expensive parts which should hopefully encourage vendors/builders to expect better quality.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:59 pm

On the other hand...and I expect to be flamed for this...both of my vws were scrap material ($400 for the van, $300 for the beetle). I jumped into rebuilds mostly for the education, and also the cool factor. The fact that we camp most weekends makes the Vanagon a plus. That being said, my cars will never be show vehicles. They will never be worth more than a few thousand dollars. The lack of care in the van for more than 30 years, and the ubiquitous nature of supers will keep the value minimal regardless of my improvements. I have spent more than double what I would ever hope to regain. My cars are not investments; I have a stock market for that. Cheap parts allow me to continue this hobbie without breaking the bank or angering the wife. I shop junkyards whenever I can, and I stick with oe parts on the van, but the beetle is a beater...plain and simple. Chinese and Brazilian parts allow me to stay in the game. It's frustrating when the parts don't work, but that is part of the game...just as it is with the junkyard parts I've pulled.

Let the beatings begin...

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:28 pm

cegammel wrote:On the other hand...and I expect to be flamed for this...both of my vws were scrap material ($400 for the van, $300 for the beetle). I jumped into rebuilds mostly for the education, and also the cool factor. The fact that we camp most weekends makes the Vanagon a plus. That being said, my cars will never be show vehicles. They will never be worth more than a few thousand dollars. The lack of care in the van for more than 30 years, and the ubiquitous nature of supers will keep the value minimal regardless of my improvements. I have spent more than double what I would ever hope to regain. My cars are not investments; I have a stock market for that. Cheap parts allow me to continue this hobbie without breaking the bank or angering the wife. I shop junkyards whenever I can, and I stick with oe parts on the van, but the beetle is a beater...plain and simple. Chinese and Brazilian parts allow me to stay in the game. It's frustrating when the parts don't work, but that is part of the game...just as it is with the junkyard parts I've pulled.

Nah,

No need for anyone to start the "beatings". I certainly don't look down my nose at anyones situation in regards to what they can or want to spend on parts. My only point is what drives these cheap parts to be made and sold is the demand for them along with people willing to accept the lower quality. If there was a stronger outcry and demand for OEM quality aftermarket VW parts, they'd be made. Right now, the scale is heavily in favor of EMPI's Chinese offerings.

BTW, I personally LLLOOVVVEEE hitting swap meets and junk yards looking for deals on used parts. Heck, all three of my bone stock VW's have rebuilt/refurbished, original, German, VW parts on them. It is a trend I see MANY VW owners subscribing to lately on these air cooled VW sites. Volksbiz has a strong business rebuilding the original Solex carbs because they are so much better than anything new made today. Many people are rebuilding the original Pierburg fuel pumps for the same reason. The original parts simply fit, and can usually be rebuilt to like new standards as well.

Someone recently stated to NOT lose sight on what it costs to repair late model cars. For someone reason it resonated w/me. I HATE to spend money on good quality VW parts. I shop price between vendors like my hair is on fire! lol. I then step back and say, "it could be worse, I could need this new part for my 2015 Honda..
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:30 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: Someone recently stated to NOT lose sight on what it costs to repair late model cars. For someone reason it resonated w/me. I HATE to spend money on good quality VW parts. I shop price between vendors like my hair is on fire! lol. I then step back and say, "it could be worse, I could need this new part for my 2015 Honda..
Ever priced out new radiator fans and a new battery on an '09 Honda Fit because a $3 fan relay went bad in the middle of the desert, and you swapped it with the A/C relay so you wouldn't die of heatstroke?

I'll take an over-priced NOS swamped find any day.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:36 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
cegammel wrote:On the other hand...and I expect to be flamed for this...both of my vws were scrap material ($400 for the van, $300 for the beetle). I jumped into rebuilds mostly for the education, and also the cool factor. The fact that we camp most weekends makes the Vanagon a plus. That being said, my cars will never be show vehicles. They will never be worth more than a few thousand dollars. The lack of care in the van for more than 30 years, and the ubiquitous nature of supers will keep the value minimal regardless of my improvements. I have spent more than double what I would ever hope to regain. My cars are not investments; I have a stock market for that. Cheap parts allow me to continue this hobbie without breaking the bank or angering the wife. I shop junkyards whenever I can, and I stick with oe parts on the van, but the beetle is a beater...plain and simple. Chinese and Brazilian parts allow me to stay in the game. It's frustrating when the parts don't work, but that is part of the game...just as it is with the junkyard parts I've pulled.

Nah,

No need for anyone to start the "beatings". I certainly don't look down my nose at anyones situation in regards to what they can or want to spend on parts. My only point is what drives these cheap parts to be made and sold is the demand for them along with people willing to accept the lower quality. If there was a stronger outcry and demand for OEM quality aftermarket VW parts, they'd be made. Right now, the scale is heavily in favor of EMPI's Chinese offerings.

BTW, I personally LLLOOVVVEEE hitting swap meets and junk yards looking for deals on used parts. Heck, all three of my bone stock VW's have rebuilt/refurbished, original, German, VW parts on them. It is a trend I see MANY VW owners subscribing to lately on these air cooled VW sites. Volksbiz has a strong business rebuilding the original Solex carbs because they are so much better than anything new made today. Many people are rebuilding the original Pierburg fuel pumps for the same reason. The original parts simply fit, and can usually be rebuilt to like new standards as well.

Someone recently stated to NOT lose sight on what it costs to repair late model cars. For someone reason it resonated w/me. I HATE to spend money on good quality VW parts. I shop price between vendors like my hair is on fire! lol. I then step back and say, "it could be worse, I could need this new part for my 2015 Honda..
I go the extra mile as when in europe I hit different VW restoration/parts shop for good quality parts I can't find in the US. The Westy plaid I brought back is an example too.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/