Pedal splash pans?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Pedal splash pans?

Post by MidWesty » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:31 pm

I searched and came up empty so I'll throw this out there.
I've got several of the splash pans that go under the pedal cluster for Baywindows. Some have small holes near the front while others are completely solid. What year calls for which pan? They seem that they may bolt up regardless, but which is actually correct for which years? I've had a few people ask for certain year pans and am not sure which fits. Funny thing is they didn't know either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:11 am

Just a guess, but maybe the ones with small holes came from Bays with aftermarket under-dash A/C units. I had one in my '79, and as I recall, the drain hose went through the floor and would have dumped right into the splash pan.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks Don, that would make sense. I've been told both. Early had the hole, late had the hole. My 78 has a hole but no A/C. Seems to me though I just grabbed one and put it on if my memory serves me.

Steve
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:31 pm

MidWesty wrote:Thanks Don, that would make sense. I've been told both. Early had the hole, late had the hole. My 78 has a hole but no A/C. Seems to me though I just grabbed one and put it on if my memory serves me.

Steve
I have a hole. . . . . shut up. I mean, the front pan has a hole directly under the pitman arm/draglink ball joint, the better which to inspect for loose steering. I have seen holes in that spot long before air-conditioning option. Drain hole? Little one on the other side's low point?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Here is a thread from TheSamba about them. I don't know if it'll help but I figured I'd post it up.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175118
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:39 pm

Hmmm...
Now I'm even more conused. Most of the pics are no longer there or I can't load them. It does appear though that the one with the big hole is a later model, I think....
Ever feel like your chasin' your own tail?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Steve

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop