Rebuilding late model Westy seats

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Rebuilding late model Westy seats

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:51 am

So the PO of my 1973 Westy put in later model Westy seats (headrest, plaid upholstery, no armrests..74-76?). The seats fit in the bus just fine. I recently bought some seat covers from Go Westy! and they fit beautifully. However, I cannot, for the life of me..figure out how to put the bottom seat rails/recliner arm back on. I took pictures, and it LOOKS like I have the right idea, but every time I get close to screwing the thing down...*SPROING!* the recliner handle pops out of the teeth and I gotta start all over.
Can someone please share the magical chant with me so I can get these things back in the bus so I can test em out?

Hopefully this makes sense and doesn't sound too much like the babblings of a crazy man (which I am, but doesn't apply here..I hope).
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:31 am

Im not sure I understand what parts you are putting back together. Are you attaching the seat back to the bottom?
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:43 am

I'm trying to reinstall the sliding rails (and associated assembly) to the seat bottom.
On one side is the handle that lets the seat recline.
On the other side is, a bent metal bar that I'm assuming allows the seat to "spring" back to position?

Attaching the seat bottom to the seat back seems fairly straightforward, but I need the seat bottom reassembled first.
1973 Camper - Bliss

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:48 am

Thats what I thought you meant but wasnt sure - I didnt take the rails off when I recovered my seats so Im not sure what the trick is to getting them back on.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Rebuilding late model Westy seats

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:44 am

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:every time I get close to screwing the thing down...*SPROING!* the recliner handle pops out of the teeth and I gotta start all over.
You must look at the situation like an engineer. The seat reclining lever is working against serious spring tension. The full-up position is the least amount of tension you're going to get, so get it there. If the recliner handle is disengaging from the retaining teeth, you need to look to see if you are inadvertently pressing it or the cross bar as you reassemble the seat. Trick? No, not really, you just have to prevail. I did not clearly get where you are in your assembly, are you trying to get the seatback assembled to the installed seat bottom already in the car?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:00 am

Ok, I will try and explain this again (I really should get pictures)

Forget the seat back..that does not come into the equation at all. I cannot attach the seatback until the seat bottom is finished, correct?

I am working on the seat rails and pivot bar for the seat bottom.
I am trying to attach the seat rails to the seat bottom. The problem is I cannot seem to hold the assembly together long enough to screw down the rails.

You say to assemble it with the recliner in full-up. I believe that is what I've been doing. Just to confirm, full-up is when the latch is in the top-most notch, with 4 or 5 notches below it?
Does that make sense?
1973 Camper - Bliss

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:31 am

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:Ok, I will try and explain this again (I really should get pictures)

I am trying to attach the seat rails to the seat bottom. The problem is I cannot seem to hold the assembly together long enough to screw down the rails.

You say to assemble it with the recliner in full-up. I believe that is what I've been doing. Just to confirm, full-up is when the latch is in the top-most notch, with 4 or 5 notches below it?
Does that make sense?
I did BobD's driver's seat in May. I remember having a moment of confusion. I used the still-assembled passenger seat as an "assembly diagram." I cannot describe to you the little details of where you hook the spring in the seat bottom chassis and whatnot. If both of your seats are apart, then you do not have an "assembly diagram" to go by.

Invite a late model Westy owner over to shoot the breeze with you. Act all enthused and pull his seat out, "just, ah, looking, wow nice." Snap a picture of it, "my mom, she wants one" slap him on the back, "time for you to go, thanks for stopping by."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles