Window Seals?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Window Seals?

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:16 am

So I'm thinking I should replace my window seals before it gets too rainy around here. I plan on leaving the windshield alone since that seems to be a bit much of an undertaking. I only have 10'x15' slab of concrete to work on.

How hard is it to replace the seals? Any preferred supplier for the rubber? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Window Seals?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:17 pm

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:So I'm thinking I should replace my window seals before it gets too rainy around here. I plan on leaving the windshield alone since that seems to be a bit much of an undertaking. I only have 10'x15' slab of concrete to work on.

How hard is it to replace the seals? Any preferred supplier for the rubber? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
It is a big job and a bit messy and it takes coordination to keep the headliner from tearing or paint getting chipped. The windshield, alas, is a damn important part of it. You can rot floor boards and channels and douse the fuse box with windshield leaks.

Most people press too hard on the glass as they try to work the lip of the new rubber over the pinch welds. I use dishwashing liquid as a lubricant.
Ever doen it before?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:38 am

Never done it before.

The only one that I think REALLY needs replacing is the rear passenger window with the vent wing. The other ones seem OK, but I figured I'd replace em all while I was at it.

The windshield does not currently leak, which is why I'm leaving it alone. I'm not going to mess with a good thing ;)
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:59 pm

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:Never done it before.

The only one that I think REALLY needs replacing is the rear passenger window with the vent wing. The other ones seem OK, but I figured I'd replace em all while I was at it.

The windshield does not currently leak, which is why I'm leaving it alone. I'm not going to mess with a good thing ;)
You will probably find that the vent window on the rear left is rusted out.

The big glass seal is easy to replace.

But if the vent window is a rust bucket, you have 2 choices:

1) Replace the vent window with a good used one. No rust! They came in 2 flavors: buses are chrome, Westies are black.

2) Get another full size glass from the right rear of a bus and install it on the left. No more vent window to worry about.