Look! Rust never sleeps...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Look! Rust never sleeps...

Post by turk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:15 pm

I'm cleaning up the undercoating, getting ready to rustproof and put a new undercoating. Lots of spots need help. These square channels are part of the frame and they were formerly covered on the ends by a thin piece of sheetmetal that rusted completely away. The rubber plugs that were part of the cap were still pretty intact.

I also see someone bottomed out and damaged the cross-member at some point. It's almost too rusty to bend back into shape.
Finally, I have no idea what this is but it's dangling from the harness:

turk

Post by turk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:22 am

What about the sheetmetal endcaps to the chassis by my wheel-wells? Are these parts available anywhere? They have little 1/2 inch circular holes which rubber plugs fit in. Mine are fried. Do I improvise or is there a replacement?

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 pm

turk wrote:What about the sheetmetal endcaps to the chassis by my wheel-wells? Are these parts available anywhere? They have little 1/2 inch circular holes which rubber plugs fit in. Mine are fried. Do I improvise or is there a replacement?
Sorry, turk, no replacement panels for those parts of the wheel wells. The rusted metal needs to be cut out and patches must be welded in. It needs to be done by someone experienced in mig welding.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

turk

Post by turk » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:27 am

Thanks satchmo, that's kinda what I thought. We'll get her done. I might even know someone. Any suggestions for driving it in the meanwhile? I mean to protect from further corrosion until I'm ready to have the holes patched with steel? My idea is to glue and/or caulk the area up with a temporary patch that can be peeled off.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:56 am

Wow man that's ruff. Musta been those 2 years of Chicago salt. Doesn't look too bad for welding tho, as long as the rusty metal is ground shiny so the weld will take. What about a high school shop? Prosser mebbe, Grand and Central.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:31 am

That's not a big deal at all, the cap needs to fabricated it's a simple part.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:14 pm

hambone wrote:Wow man that's ruff. Musta been those 2 years of Chicago salt. Doesn't look too bad for welding tho, as long as the rusty metal is ground shiny so the weld will take. What about a high school shop? Prosser mebbe, Grand and Central.
Nah, couldn't of rusted that much in 1 year when it was parked all winter. Not a big deal. As Colin told me it's a good opportunity to rustproof that whole rail inside and out and then maufacture a cap.