Front end repairs

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Front end repairs

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:04 pm

I have a scrunched nose. Does anyone have an idea where to get a new one? I'm thinking of getting rid of the spare tire up front and going with the vw logo, plus the po bumped something and there's a tear up behind the spare.

I also have to take out the windshield and do some repairs. I've got water leaking into the cabin when it rains, so I'm looking for advice on working on that area, replace or repair?

Which also leads to my floor pan that rusted thanks to water leaking in around the windshield. Anyone have good experience with replacement floorpans? Or any other repair method?

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Either buy a small mig and learn to weld or pay some one even more to do it for you. If you want a show car I hope you got lots of money. If you want a nice driver that will last for many years learn to do it yourself. A decent little mig like a Miller, Lincoln, or a Hobart, which is a Miller for the hobbyist is about $500. You want a mig ready one, not one you have to buy an extra kit for. $500 is a chunk of change but you'll be useing the damn thing in a couple of decades from now to do a quick fix on your kids exhaust for $20 worth of pipe instead of a $300 dollar mufler shop repair. It'll last a lifetime.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:30 pm

I got a cheap Harbor Freight Mig. It's the wire with the stuff around it, not a real mig with the gas...

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:25 am

If it ain't useing an inert gas then it is only a wire feed welder. Doesn't matter what harbor frieght calls it, it's still only a wire feed welder. Your'e probably running an .035 flux core wire, and always burning holes in your sheet metal when trying to weld. See if there is a mig kit for your model and pony up the cash for it, or sell it and get a real mig. Don't try and weld the whole joint and use seam sealer.

Bill

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:05 pm

Check online classifieds, I always see west coast buses being parted out. It may cost a bit to ship it to you though.
That noze job seems pretty intensive, I don't think I'd tackle it with my limited bodywork skilz.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:27 pm

Didn't Sluggo get a new nose, a nose job so to speak.

I guess we'll see. I want to drive my bus until the snow comes. Then out comes the windshield and we'll see how bad it is. The floor on the drivers side is gonna need some major repairing. It kind of flexes when I put wait on it, that and you can see the ground below 'ya. One thing at a time. One foot in front of the other. I'll get there.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:32 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Didn't Sluggo get a new nose, a nose job so to speak.
Nope. I need one. Not badly though. No rust or holes. Just a few dents and a bad Bondo spot. And the fact that it's a '73 & up nose on a '72 Bus.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:17 am

I'm sure you'll be able to find a nice one down there in the desert land. My bus came from LA originally, moved to Washington in '78 or so. And the noze was replaced down there, ironically.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:18 am

i have one for sale, kinda far but if your into doing the research there is creative shipping options out there.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=284807

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Re: Front end repairs

Post by gmag69 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:22 am

chitwnvw wrote:I'm have a scrunched nose, does anyone have an idea where to get a new one. I'm thinking of getting rid of the spare tire up front and going with the vw logo, plus the po bumped something and there's a tear up behind the spare.

I also have to take out the windshield and do some repairs. I've got water leaking into the cabin when it rains, so I'm looking advice on working on that area, replace or repair?

Which also leads to my floor pan that rusted thanks to water leaking in around the windshield. Anyone have good experience with replacement floorpans? Or any other repair method?
Here you go: http://eisparts.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... 211805031J This is who has it.http://eisparts.com I don't want to take buissness from BD but this is where they get theirs from. And they are cheaper. Be prepared to pay for shipping . Ask me how I know. 8-[

If you replace the nose that'll probably take care of your water problem. Your lower windshield lip is probably shot. I don't know about the floorpans. atleast not yet that is. :joker:

Geno :cheers:
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.