Rust bubbles

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Rust bubbles

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:10 pm

I had some bubbles in my paint that I took a wire brush to, only to discover I had some pin holes. This is in the area between the back of the sliding door and the passenger side rear wheel well. What causes conditions favorable for rust here? It comes from the inside, and I don't want to patch and hope for the best.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:41 pm

Sounds like a leaky window seal or slider door seal. Isolate the leak with the ol' garden hose and fix that first.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:14 am

[albumimg]1077[/albumimg]

Finally got around to taking a picture. I'm not sure that the water's coming in through the window seal, I think that area is it's own isolated area. It's weird too that it bubbles up there and doesn't start at the bottom. There is some metal behind the pinholes, which makes me think there's something structural in there that's trapping water and debris. But my drain hole is open and I can't figure out where the bad stuff is getting in at...unless it's coming up through the drain hole.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:39 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Finally got around to taking a picture. I'm not sure that the water's coming in through the window seal, I think that area is it's own isolated area. It's weird too that it bubbles up there and doesn't start at the bottom. There is some metal behind the pinholes, which makes me think there's something structural in there that's trapping water and debris. But my drain hole is open and I can't figure out where the bad stuff is getting in at...unless it's coming up through the drain hole.
That area may have been repaired once or twice already, so who know's what's in there. Did you have your interior panels out along that wall at some time?
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:11 am

Yah, it's behind the Westy cabinet, the one with the full size mirrored door, but that area is below the floor line, so I can't get at it from behind.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am

With the cabinet along that wall, it's difficult to tell if the window seal is leaking. Stick your head in the cabinet and have someone spray that baby down really good, I would bet you'll see a leak there. Sometimes they will only leak in really heavy rain, my old westy had that problem.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:56 pm

I was working on this area again today. The rust bubbles are lined up with the floor, soooooooo....I think you're right, water must come in through the window, drain down to where the floor is joined to the outer wall.

Anyway, I've got a seal for that window coming. Unfortunately, I'll have to remove the Westy stuff to do the job. Them’s the breaks. It'll be interesting to see what I find.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:29 am

Chitwn,

One area to pay close attention to is the bottom back corner of the window. That area seems prone to rust holes.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:51 am

Well Turk and I pulled what I thought was the offending window and all we found was some surface rust, not one hole! Any ideas on where else water could access this area?

[albumimg]1077[/albumimg]

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Well Turk and I pulled what I thought was the offending window and all we found was some surface rust, not one hole! Any ideas on where else water could access this area?
There doesn't have to be a hole in the window channel for water to get in and rust out your car. It can easily wick over the pinchweld from dribbles down the vertical runs. Also, check carefully the seatbelt anchors at the right rear wheel well. It does not matter if the seatbelts are not installed in that position, the bolt hole may be breached. While in the wheel well, look at the access plugs along the inner fender line where the factory injected wax between the outer fender and the inner fender.and really check under any undercoating for breaches. Most of these annoying rust throughs are at sandwiched panels. You must aggressively seek the water incursions. You can have a dry interior down to the floor, a nice wheel well behind the rust area and yet you are taking in water between the welded panels from behind the sliding cover at the catch, for all you know. This can be devilishly irritating to fully track down, but you will know how the vehicle is constructed a lot better by the time you are done.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for changing you avatar! That last one was giving me nightmares.

Since that last pic, I've grinded it down and sprayed the heck out of it with rust converting primer and gempler's version of WaxOyl pumped into the chamber. I primered it and 10 months later, there's no more corrosion.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:50 pm

More inspection.

Inside, the panel, behind the sliding door, where the floor meets the outer skin.

(Click on the pics for the full story)

[albumimg]1954[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1955[/albumimg]
Doesn't look too bad, although the camera picks up more than the eye does.

I decided to start removing some of the seam sealing caulk, it's a very tight space, a real pita!:
[albumimg]1960[/albumimg]
Why is there so much room 'tween the outer skin and the floor lap joint.
[albumimg]1961[/albumimg]

Smoking gun.

So there weren't any obvious signs of rust on the inside. But near the sliding door, there was a gap in the seam sealer caulk, the water got in...somehow... and wicked along the seam.

I will wait now for a heavy rain to make sure the new window seal has fixed the water leak problem.

Then wait a couple of days for the weather to warm up so I can spray the heck out of the existing rust with converting primer.

It's a weird space. There's a drain hole, but I don't know where they thought water was going to enter, so why the drain?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:55 pm

chitwnvw wrote:There's a drain hole, but I don't know where they thought water was going to enter, so why the drain?
Water can enter just from heavy condensation from nine passengers breathing on a humid day. Breathing. Yuck. Water can enter through the long through bolt that goes through the belt line. I don't remember a drain hole in that space.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 pm

This is my understanding of the area:

[albumimg]1963[/albumimg]

By the severity of rust damage, I can tell it started from the sliding door side and worked it's way back

I have the interior out now. I will protect this area and keep an eye to see if moisture is entering during rain, etc.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:24 am

You're a brave man, that's a lot of work.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat