Rust bubbles

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:18 am

When I stick a wire up the drain hole and rattle it around I get rust flakes. How should one treat rust in there? I remember Colin saying to spray the rust converting stuff in there and follow with compressed air, but here I am pretty sure it's all over the little chamber in there. And moisture will continue to make it's way in there. I'm contemplating taping up all the holes and the drain and filling it from the top with rust converting liquid then draining it out, but somehow that seems like a bad idea.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Also found this (rear driver's side):

[albumimg]1967[/albumimg]

Couldn't see anything on the inside, but after prying off the seam caulk:

[albumimg]1966[/albumimg]

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 09, 2008 6:57 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Also found this Couldn't see anything on the inside, but after prying off the seam caulk:
That is how it is done.
Aggressive. Thorough. Whatever works.
chitwnvw '08
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri May 09, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm running in '12, or do you say 2 aught 12? I like your tag line though, I might hire you as a consultant.

I got more picture somewhere, I'll get them posted, got the rust catalyzed. going to build it up and primer. I think it'll finally be dry and warm enough to get something done.

You really learn a lot about how they are built, there are a lot of places where water is meant to flow through, obviously front doors, but the rear fins where the air enters into the engine compartment. And the way the drainage compartments are linked together. Really remarkable.