Sliding Door help

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Dead 1
I'm New!

Sliding Door help

Post by Dead 1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:45 pm

First post =D> I have a 71 bus!

My sliding door worked fine and closed fine except that the sliding door woudnt stay latched open. I took the latch off to clean it, will taking it off I had to take off a cable and a rod from the latch. Now that I put it all together everything works except the rear of the door is not flush. Before the rod and cable removal when I would close the door from the outside and lifted the handle up the rear of the door woul suck in and stay there. Now when I lift the handle the door sucks in but then comes right back out. Any suggestions?

BTW its good to be here. Thirstytank turned me to the site. :cheers:

Dead 1
I'm New!

Post by Dead 1 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:29 am

No one can help me here? :bounce:
71 Westy 1776 :flower:

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Be patient, I'm sure someone will chime in. I have a 77, different setup entirely. Colin showed me how his worked when he was here, but he was really just showing off.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, your avatar is, um, distracting. Maybe that's why no one has responded yet?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Dead 1 wrote:No one can help me here? :bounce:
You have one of two possibilities. Either the cable is slightly longer now or the latch striker is incorrectly adjusted. The Bentley has the procedure where you stick a 4mm allen wrench in the holes in the handle mechanism and latch assembly so you can draw up the turnbuckles on the rods (cables).
These are sophisticated assemblies and it is difficult to run you through the procedure with mere pixels.
Do check the screws for proper security. I have seen instances where the 10mm bolts that hold the rear latch assembly on the door are way loose.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:51 pm

See, speak his name and he will appear.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Dead 1
I'm New!

Post by Dead 1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:28 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Dead 1 wrote:No one can help me here? :bounce:
You have one of two possibilities. Either the cable is slightly longer now or the latch striker is incorrectly adjusted. The Bentley has the procedure where you stick a 4mm allen wrench in the holes in the handle mechanism and latch assembly so you can draw up the turnbuckles on the rods (cables).
These are sophisticated assemblies and it is difficult to run you through the procedure with mere pixels.
Do check the screws for proper security. I have seen instances where the 10mm bolts that hold the rear latch assembly on the door are way loose.
Colin
I read that part with the 4mm bolt in the hole but what does that do? I screwed in a 4mm screw but could not figure out how far to screw in the screw and what function this served.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 am

Hey bud,

We should meet up one of these days, so I can check out yer purdy bus and we'll dial in your slider whilst drinking a beer or two.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Dead 1
I'm New!

Post by Dead 1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:22 am

Thirstytank wrote:Hey bud,

We should meet up one of these days, so I can check out yer purdy bus and we'll dial in your slider whilst drinking a beer or two.
Sounds good. Hows the Rivi? My bus is over at Terrys now being taken a look at. I coudnt fiqure out how to get it to idle and time it correctly after the compufire/svda install.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:37 am

Dead 1 wrote:

Sounds good. Hows the Rivi? My bus is over at Terrys now being taken a look at. I coudnt fiqure out how to get it to idle and time it correctly after the compufire/svda install.
Are you picking it up Saturday?....If so, let's meet up...you got my cell number still?
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Dead 1
I'm New!

Post by Dead 1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:17 am

Thirstytank wrote:
Dead 1 wrote:

Are you picking it up Saturday?....If so, let's meet up...you got my cell number still?
Im not sure. Terry should be calling me tomorrow to give me the scoop. I'll check my cell phone later to see if I still have your number. I thought u fell off the face of the earth

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:09 pm

Dead 1 wrote:I read that part with the 4mm bolt in the hole but what does that do? could not figure out how far to screw in the screw and what function this served.
There is a simultaneous push-pull action in the door mechanism, the 4mm allen wrench holds the levers still so you can adjust the rods without pulling the levers. The wrench just holds the levers still.
Colin
(dang neighbor-like offer there, Thirstytank)

veedublover12
I'm New!

Post by veedublover12 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:29 am

If you are still wondering check out this site:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html

Cheers!
Isaac T.
Love & Good Road

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:46 am

Ratwell's write-up still has not tackled the cable/rod adjustments that the Bentley actually illustrates quite well. Follow the Bentley.
Colin