Laminate alternatives? / colors?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Laminate alternatives? / colors?

Post by RussellK » Mon May 14, 2007 7:56 am

I need some help with what color laminate matches up with my Westy interior. My sink was trashed so I'm replacing with a flat surface and want to put a laminate on it that is a pretty good match with the Westy cabinets. I'm color blind and my wife has visions issues so for us matching swatches to the cabinets is pretty iffy.
Thanks!

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon May 14, 2007 9:18 am

I believe there is one called "colonial cherry" by Formica, but it may have been discontinued.

If you have trouble matching, bring a drawer or something into your local hardware shop and ask them for help matching...

Oh! and let us know if you find something!
Love your bus.

77 Westy

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon May 14, 2007 9:54 am

I recently ordered several samples from Formica and WilsonArt. The closest one that I've found so far is the WilsonArt:

7919-38 Amber Cherry

Call 800-433-3222 and they'll send you a sample.

77_Bus_Girl is correct about Formica's "Colonial Cherry". It is unfortunately discontinued.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:33 am

bretski wrote:I recently ordered several samples from Formica and WilsonArt. The closest one that I've found so far is the WilsonArt:

7919-38 Amber Cherry

Call 800-433-3222 and they'll send you a sample.

77_Bus_Girl is correct about Formica's "Colonial Cherry". It is unfortunately discontinued.
I ordered a piece from a cabinet shop and picked it up yesterday. It looks like a pretty good match. The color looks right but the grain is a little less grainy than the original. It shouldn't be too noticable though. The shop had a minimum size of 30" X 36" for an order. They charged $54 for the sheet.

This is a pretty good source for T-Molding http://www.t-molding.com/store/home.php The 5/8" is just slightly (about 1/64") narrower than the original but looks better than the wavy mess my original had become.
-Russ

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:42 am

I don't know if saying this will be helpful to you or not Russ, but we are going to get laminated wood from Costco, as in laminated flooring in board pieces that interlock if that makes sense.

We are going with the light maple honey color for Phred but I am pretty sure they have a cherry version also. It is 19.99 (on sale now) per box and we figured on about 12 boxes to redo Phred's interior. I just tried to find a link there for it but I couldn't find it.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:56 am

Thanks Z - That would have been a nice alternative for my floor.

My sink top was a mess and I don't plan on using a sink so I took the top off the cabinet and replaced it with a flat piece of 3/4 plywood and glued the Wilsonart laminate on it using a contact spray adhesive. Then I used a router and cut a groove around the edge and put new 3/4" T Molding around the edge to match up with the rest of the interior. I gutted the inside of the cabinet (water tank was shot anyway) as well and replaced the shelves with new wood shelving increasing the storage capacity.

I bought a router blade made for laminate cutting. The blade has a roller on it that positions the blade exactly where you want it to be for trimming the edges. About $6 at Lowes and makes trimming virtually foolproof.

-Russ

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:09 am

I also took the sink out of my westy as it had rotted the floor beneath and after getting that fixed I wasnt going to go through that again. Back to cabinets I took the old laminate off my cabinets and restained the cabinets - they turned out great and have a real antique look.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI