Body Work cheap vs expensive

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Body Work cheap vs expensive

Post by Hippopotabus » Thu May 03, 2007 1:47 pm

So I was hoping to get an opionion from someone on this forum that knows his or her bodywork lingo and overall heads up. This is what I mean....

My bus has a pretty decent body. I had done the body work 10yrs ago. The guy did a real bitchin job. Pulled the windows, stipped the old paint, bondo'd where needed, and put a real nice coat on it. But now I'm starting to see chipping, spider cracks, cloudy sun damaged paint, and just wear over the last 10 years. What I'd like to do is find a body man who can treat me like an equal and not take advantage of my lack of knowledge with doing bodywork. Here is the senario I run into when getting prices and estimates.

"No we don't work on buses cause people don't normally want to do it CORRECTLY"

In this example he is blowing me off because he doesn't think I can afford it. Fool!

NEXT

"Sure we can do it BUUUUUT it's gonna take a shit load of time and money on your part".

In this example I get a YES but once again he goes directly after my wallet and patience. I don't mind handing over my Hippo for a few months but digging money out of me (in the first go around) is not the correct way to go. What I'd ultimitly want is someone to give me different options. In a nut shell - someone who can just do touch up work on the body to make it look cleaner with a new shot of paint and clear coat. It almost sounds like I need to go visit an Earl Shive type of place..... Not sure.

So here is my question:
If I want someone to "clean up" the body - what kind of service should I ask for and what should i be on the look out for? Any advice......

covelo
Old School!

Re: Body Work cheap vs expensive

Post by covelo » Thu May 03, 2007 8:40 pm

q
Hippopotabus wrote:So I was hoping to get an opionion from someone on this forum that knows his or her bodywork lingo and overall heads up. This is what I mean....

My bus has a pretty decent body. I had done the body work 10yrs ago. The guy did a real bitchin job. Pulled the windows, stipped the old paint, bondo'd where needed, and put a real nice coat on it. But now I'm starting to see chipping, spider cracks, cloudy sun damaged paint, and just wear over the last 10 years. What I'd like to do is find a body man who can treat me like an equal and not take advantage of my lack of knowledge with doing bodywork. Here is the senario I run into when getting prices and estimates.

"No we don't work on buses cause people don't normally want to do it CORRECTLY"

In this example he is blowing me off because he doesn't think I can afford it. Fool!

NEXT

"Sure we can do it BUUUUUT it's gonna take a shit load of time and money on your part".

In this example I get a YES but once again he goes directly after my wallet and patience. I don't mind handing over my Hippo for a few months but digging money out of me (in the first go around) is not the correct way to go. What I'd ultimitly want is someone to give me different options. In a nut shell - someone who can just do touch up work on the body to make it look cleaner with a new shot of paint and clear coat. It almost sounds like I need to go visit an Earl Shive type of place..... Not sure.

So here is my question:
If I want someone to "clean up" the body - what kind of service should I ask for and what should i be on the look out for? Any advice......
Sounds like a job for the CLF.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Fri May 04, 2007 9:07 am

I didn't know the CLF organization did things like this...... :thumbright:

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri May 04, 2007 10:17 am

Hippopotabus wrote:I didn't know the CLF organization did things like this...... :thumbright:
Yes, Jason has a paint booth and I have seen them done some excellent bodywork on the buses they rescue.

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Fri May 04, 2007 10:42 am

JBERGER WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!

thanks hans for the heads up. Didn't know about the paint booth. I've seen his spray guns and they're pretty damn state of the art.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 am

Remember, you're behind me in the queue. My nose looks a lot worse than yours.