door seals

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Tex33M
I'm New!

door seals

Post by Tex33M » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:09 pm

So, after getting to drive/float through the 6" rainfall we had the other day, I am totally impressed with the way these busses handle adverse conditions.
Mae chugged right on through running water a foot deep as we headed uphill toward home. Her brakes were a little soft but a 10 mph I hardly ever had to use them.
Only thing is, the window scrapers on both front doors are totally gone and the door seals are rotten so she leaked like crazy.
I ordered seal kits for both doors, the nice German ones from CIP, and I have a couple questions on installation.

1) Is it easier to install these with the door still attached or with it off?
2) What kind of glue do I put these door seals on with?
3) Any hidden dangers I should be on the lookout for?

I have Bently to guide me so not too worried about the process although I am sure I will run into problems (such is my world). Just trying to be prepared.
Thanks for whatever advise you all can give me.
Tex
Mae the 76 Westy
2.0L of Fuel Injected Fury

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Doors on is best, you just need to remove the check strap pin and you're good to go. The good german ones just need a little bit of glue in a few spots, I used standard rubber cement and it worked nice. Be sure to remove all traces of the old seals and clean the surface really well.

Are you doing the scrapers also?
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: door seals

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:49 pm

Tex33M wrote: 1) Is it easier to install these with the door still attached or with it off?
2) What kind of glue do I put these door seals on with?
3) Any hidden dangers I should be on the lookout for?
Doors on, as per Thirstytank.
3M weatherstrip adhesive is good, it is the yellow snot variety.
Yes, pull the old door seals off and look at the channel around the entire perimeter of the door. If you see the beginnings of rust between the sandwich layers of metal along the bottom edge of the door, please take this time to rust catalyze prime and touch up. Pull the inner door panels and carefully release your vapor barrier plastic if yours is intact. Rust catalyze prime the inner recesses of the door where you just know the water has been pooling and seeping through the layers of the door metal to aforementioned edges. When primer is fully cured (24 hours) you can dump a little bit of engine oil down the inner seams or better yet, Wax-Oyl and your door rust problems will be over.
If the plastic vapor barrier is not present or ripped, please replace. You can use 4 mil plastic sheeting and general adhesive. The '72 and later buses with the air extractor grills must have an inner flap glued to the vapor barrier sheet that runs the length of the door and rests behind the air extractor. People blame the window scrapers for leaks into the doors when the window scrapers are not designed to keep out the water. The vapor barrier + flap is what keeps the water from trickling out of the air extractor grills.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Tex33M
I'm New!

Post by Tex33M » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:27 pm

Doors on- check. That will save me lots of time and headache. I hate the thought of re-aligning the doors. If I am going to dive into this, I will be doing the whole kit and kaboodle (whatever that really means). I will do the inner and outer scrapers, felt channel, door seals, and the vent wing seal. I already have the panels off and will be making new vapor barriers for them, thanks for the tip on the extra flap in there. after I strip the glass/guts from the door I am going to catalyze the crap out of them and spray in a light coat of truck bed coating. Also will be cleaning and tightening up the regulators, lock mechanisims and mirrors and such as needed. If I have time, I will make new panels for the doors since the PO chose not to put a barrier behind the last ones. We will see how that works out. I jsut got a nifty new digital camera so I will try posting photos as I go if anyone is interested.

Thanks again
Tex
Mae the 76 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Tex33M wrote:I am going to spray in a light coat of truck bed coating.
I'd pass on that. Drain holes and all. . .. Nothing goes on inside of a door. Paint it and the paint just sits there doing its job.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue May 01, 2007 5:54 am

One helpful hint on the scrapers is to put a dab of grease on the tip of each clip. Also put a dab in the holes for the clips with a q-tip, this makes the install that much easier.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Tex33M
I'm New!

Post by Tex33M » Tue May 01, 2007 7:48 am

What about removing window tint? Anyone have any ideas about that? The windows are just dark enough that I can't see to back up at night without the windows down. While I have the glass out do I just take a razor and scrape it off or is there some trick? I don't mind it on the rest of the bus, maybe I will replace it with a really light tint....
Mae the 76 Westy

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue May 01, 2007 8:27 am

A razor will do most of it. To remove tint glue, use #0000 steel wool sprayed with WD-40.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Fri May 18, 2007 4:03 pm

Use a razor blade with the little handle things. Makes it a lot easier. Also spray the windows with ammonia in advance. Just make sure the bus is well ventillated. Also, make sure to change your razorblade often. Rarely will one blade efficiently scrape the entire window. They get dull really fast. Doing all this on a warm day is helpfull too.
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri May 18, 2007 8:29 pm

I found a series of 46 photos left on TS by steponmebbboom (before he left TS) all about front door refurbishment. There are 3 pages of pics. Maybe this will be helpful. And, yes, now would be the time to replace the scrapers if necessary

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... 0&start=80
71 bus, 74 westy

OB Bus

Post by OB Bus » Fri May 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Birdibus wrote:I found a series of 46 photos left on TS by steponmebbboom (before he left TS) all about front door refurbishment. There are 3 pages of pics. Maybe this will be helpful. And, yes, now would be the time to replace the scrapers if necessary

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... 0&start=80
Photos are gone.
Step left TS?

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri May 18, 2007 11:07 pm

Hmmm... they are still there, but the search link isn't working. I'll link his album. They start on page 5 and continue on pages 4 and 3. Not a very good way of sharing them, sorry.

FRONT DOOR DISASSEMBLY, REPAIR, RESTORATION, REASSEMBLY:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... nmebbbboom

The pics were posted March 25, 2007. If more photos are added the page numbers will change. I don't know any details, just that he's gone. I'm guessing he found a 'life' away from the computer.
71 bus, 74 westy

OB Bus

Post by OB Bus » Sat May 19, 2007 8:47 am

Birdibus wrote: I don't know any details, just that he's gone. I'm guessing he found a 'life' away from the computer.
His sig line sez he is "gone". Bright, lots of practical knowledge, but what a grump. Agree - hope he finds a better "life."