Driver's Door Rattling - Part ID

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Driver's Door Rattling - Part ID

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:10 pm

I need to find a part that I don't know the name of and so far can't find anyone selling one. My inkling is it's a junkyard part.

My driver's door rattled forever before I realized why... the "post and plate" attached to the door jamb, the part that the door latch mechanism attaches to when you close the door... well the post is broken. It's still in there securely, but not tightly. (i.e. door isn't going to come flying open just yet, but the post moves just enough that the door rattles.)

I need one of those "post and plates" :geek:

Any ideas?

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:32 pm

The screws keep it tight, sometimes when they get rusty they wont tighten like they should, its a pinch fit. Take one screw out at a time and lube it prior to putting it back in. PB blaster works great. Motor oil also, slower. Unless you need welding? By your description sounds like just needs to get tightened. Also the adjustment is what aligns the door to keep it tight.
Hope that helps.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:49 pm

Yeah, the plate is tight.. but the post sits loosely in the plate. Someone with a welder could probably fix it in 10 seconds flat. But I'm a sissy boy and don't know how to weld.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:00 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Yeah, the plate is tight.. but the post sits loosely in the plate. Someone with a welder could probably fix it in 10 seconds flat. But I'm a sissy boy and don't know how to weld.
If not knowing something make you a sissyboy then put everyone on that list, cause everone knows everthing not.
Yeah, run the bus to a body shop thats slow some time have it prepped "clean and sanded" itll cost next to nothin.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Tanx, man. I'll try to get that done. My bus has like six different rattles that all together make a big racket over bumps. Colin thought I must've had 50 lbs in my tires because it makes the ride seem so rough.