filler neck

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zabo
Old School!

filler neck

Post by zabo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:29 pm

i took off from work an hour early today. it was so nice i thought id quickly replace my severely cracked filler neck.

ha

well in the hour before it got dark i had pulled the firewall/ecu etc.., and spent a good 10 min wrestling with the long fuel pipe. my 78 has the one long pipe that goes all the way to the formed hose at the tank.

At this point I think with a bunch of contortions i could get the pipe back into the neck but i dont see how it will be possible to attach the hose clamp.

Any advice/tips/tricks?
60 beetle
78 bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: filler neck

Post by Jivermo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:49 am

Man, Colin and I tackled mine last year, and I also have a '78. I recall I had a new top filler piece and a new bottom joining section to the metal tube to tank. Getting into a position to force the pieces together at the bottom was tough, I recollect, but I don't remember the exact details of how we did it. Perhaps Colin will have a better answer for you. One things these buses share is a multitude of interesting challenges that arise during what you had thought that would be an easy job. Good luck.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:17 am

Daylight cleared things up for me. once i removed the formed elbow from tank end of the pipe i was able to move it enough to put the neck on via pieplate hole, cinch up the hoseclamp and then pull the flange of the filler neck through the gas hole.

If i had to do it again i think its a solid 30 min job
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:37 am

zabo wrote:Daylight cleared things up for me. once i removed the formed elbow from tank end of the pipe i was able to move it enough to put the neck on via pieplate hole, cinch up the hoseclamp and then pull the flange of the filler neck through the gas hole.

If i had to do it again i think its a solid 30 min job
And there you have it . . . once you have done the procedures, these cars are actually pretty decently laid out for most every job, unlike the 1992 Lexus LS400 starter replacement that requires removing double servo-actuated throttle bodies and intake plenums and fuel injection rails and V-8 valley covers (eight hours right there) to get to the the starter.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles