Hackin' out the floor

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Hackin' out the floor

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:02 pm

I am getting the drivers side floor, the partial front floor replacement panel from BD. Does anyone have any experience with this, especially with the cutting out the old floor part of it.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Here's what I have.
[albumimg]659[/albumimg]
Here's the I got from Bus Depot, although it seems the same as what everyone else has.
[albumimg]661[/albumimg]
If I want to use it, I'll have to cut out the area for the step and massage some of the bends, plus some other more minor tailoring. I'm guessing it's really for a splitty. :-(

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:23 am

That don't look right...

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:19 am

I'm gonna try and return it.

Someone turned me on to this one from cip1. It looks a lot closer. I also put a line out to Chris at busted bus. I don't know if he supplies metal or not.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:51 am

We sure have to be painfully specific when ordering parts. Your bus has the doorstep cutout that began in 1973. The BD picture looks like a panel for an earlier one. Not a splitty though.
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:45 am

Got my replacement panel from Cip1 yesterday.

[albumimg]675[/albumimg]

Much better. Made by Schofield.

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Good eyes everyone! I was gonna say the same thing. It's looked like an earlier version... just now sure which version of earlier...

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:31 am

:profileright:

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:19 am

Oh boy, you dug this up and now I have to confess. I ended up painting with Por 15 and using their fiberglass and putty to fab it. I reserve the right to do it the right way in the future, but for now there's no more water coming in and the rust is stopped.

[albumimg]1862[/albumimg]

As you can see by the water pooled up on the floor, I still need to address the original problem which was water coming in through the windshield. It's near the top of my spring to do list.

I can tell you I picked up some of these on ebay. I think using these clip and having a wire feeding welder of some sort should do it.

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Sean Gallagher wrote:I'm right with you. I don't have a welder and would like to learn, but I have to balance the reality that I'm probably not gong to be out welding things everyday. I'll do all the grinding and prep work, but then I'll probably just get a pro to put a piece in. (Unless of course I get a mig with gas relatively cheap!) My bus needs pieces everywhere!
I'd take it upon yourself. Metal work is so basic to the construction, that you might be sorely disappointed to find something welded in crooked or too low or too far to the rear or warped or oxidized. I saw one bus where the dog leg was not only askance but the door seal couldn't keep the rain out because it missed the lower edge. Also, you, not in a hurry, can apply inner sealant wax with great care as you button up boxed sections. Any friends you could pass around a welder to and help defray the costs?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:09 pm

Sean Gallagher wrote: Can you help us all with the background on the origins, product name and application of:

"...inner sealant wax with great care as you button up boxed sections."
Assume that all inner panels and recesses get wet. They do. Get some WaxOyl spray (the clear stuff) and primer then coat all inner sections like the rocker boxes before you tack the outer skins on. Now, you do have to keep the wax away from the spot weld points, but it is a worthy thing to do.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:30 am

Weld through primer. It has a high zinc content.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.