interior of 78/79 westy

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

interior of 78/79 westy

Post by jackstar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:53 am

I am looking for anyone that has a stock 78 or 79 Westy interior. I need to talk to someone about where the trim goes from the pop up down to the sink/stove. Thanks

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: interior of 78/79 westy

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 am

jackstar wrote:I am looking for anyone that has a stock 78 or 79 Westy interior. I need to talk to someone about where the trim goes from the pop up down to the sink/stove. Thanks

Jack
Jack, I am appalled that nobody answered this in the week that it has been posted.
Colin
(hth)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:41 pm

The desire to help without the answers, does not a helpful post make.

:pirate:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:41 pm

asiab3 wrote:The desire to help without the answers, does not a helpful post make.

:pirate:
Even a
"Hi Jack, I don't own a Westy, but you can pm Jivermo, I know his Westy interior is still apart . . . "
Anything to suggest that this place is not a mausoleum is appreciated.
Maybe we are . . . .
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Jack, I saw the post, but I had my '78's interior all apart. What in particular are you looking for, and I'll take some pics.

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:51 pm

I'd have been happy to help, but have a '76. I also have no idea what trim there is on any late model year that runs from the pop top down to the sink/stove.
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:07 am

phaedrus76 wrote:I'd have been happy to help, but have a '76. I also have no idea what trim there is on any late model year that runs from the pop top down to the sink/stove.
I have been on the phone with Jack, and it is challenging to say the least to:

a) talk with a lawyer

b) try to figure out what the hell he is going on about

c) glean from the word salad that he wanted to know if the "u" of galvanized strip that receives the decorative trim screws above the sink/stove counter goes upwards or downwards

Seeing as I was talking to a lawyer, I had to make sure not to provide a one word answer like "downwards."

"Jack, insofar as the stated focus of the current inquiry may or may not include orientation, protected now by Federal statute, I need to protect myself from any liability arising from the potential disparagement or diminishment of any class of aggrieved parties to this agreement in answer your request as to orientation et.al. downwards."
Colin

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate them. Never mind about the interior questions because I sold my bus to a group of homeless hippies on their way to Austin, TX. Instead I have bought a Subaru Outlander and sell arts and crafts on the side of the road.

On a side note, I did put in my Baltic Fir headliner over the driver/passenger side of the cabin. It fit very snuggly. So much so that I do not need to put any screws in to hold it up. My next endeavor is to put the visors in correctly. Any help there is also appreciated. I am putting in the new side panels that fit behind the sink/stove. Any help on how to hook up the electrics will be gladly taken as well.

The back story on this is my "painter" took the bus apart and kind of put the parts/pieces in a bucket. He never finished the job but I did find a guy that could and did a great finishing piece of work.

Oh, and before I forget. How is everyone redoing their Westy white top? What kind of prep and what type of paint?

Now, I need to go defend one of my wrongfully accused Christians.

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:26 pm

jackstar wrote:Thanks for the responses. I appreciate them. Never mind about the interior questions because I sold my bus to a group of homeless hippies on their way to Austin, TX. Instead I have bought a Subaru Outlander and sell arts and crafts on the side of the road.

On a side note, I did put in my Baltic Fir headliner over the driver/passenger side of the cabin. It fit very snuggly. So much so that I do not need to put any screws in to hold it up. My next endeavor is to put the visors in correctly. Any help there is also appreciated. I am putting in the new side panels that fit behind the sink/stove. Any help on how to hook up the electrics will be gladly taken as well.

The back story on this is my "painter" took the bus apart and kind of put the parts/pieces in a bucket. He never finished the job but I did find a guy that could and did a great finishing piece of work.

Oh, and before I forget. How is everyone redoing their Westy white top? What kind of prep and what type of paint?

Now, I need to go defend one of my wrongfully accused Christians.

Jack
Jack,

Screw the Baltic Fir headliner . . . . i.e. screw it up . . . I mean, "please do fasten the headliner to the ceiling with the holes provided." Though you have indeed discovered that the tension between the side retainers keeps a bow to the birch, time and humidity will sag that thing in no time.

Sun visors on Westies come with plastic distance pieces (shims) to allow them to pivot below the Baltic Birch line. They are the exact same oval as the sun visor mounting flanges with two screw holes and a big center hole for the spring loaded pivot. Start the visor into the clips at the mirror, rotate the mounting flange to approximate the installed position, guide the spring-loaded pivit dealio into the header, and do NOT tighten down the screws any more than necessary.

Westy tops? Me n Jivermo are bloody experts.
He is the professional plan, I am the hactastic weekend knockitouter.

(Jivermo, where is your top thread??)

Don't forget your very own restoration thread, it needs to be a story that has new chapters and an eventual ending.

The Jackstar Restoration Thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11563

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:57 am

Suggestion: When using those little screws for the headliner, a quick visit to Lowes will allow you to find the little stainless ones to be used with the stainless trim washers. It makes for a much nicer fit. Let me know if you need pictures of anything else......
79 VW Bus

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll get on that asap.

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:54 am

What did you guys use to paint/seal the outside of the top of the Westy?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:51 pm

jackstar wrote:What did you guys use to paint/seal the outside of the top of the Westy?
Interlux Briteside Polyurethane Topside Boat Paint. About $33/quart from West Marine or other marine stores.
Right, Jivermo?
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: interior of 78/79 west

Post by Jivermo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:19 pm

These guys are cheaper than West Marine. Get their 4" foam rollers and a couple of 4" roller paint trays, too.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/boating- ... 81887.html

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:39 pm

On the West Marine website it is $49.00 a quart.
Oops...that's for Blue...White is a buck less.