Front bumper bolt

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Front bumper bolt

Post by jcbrock » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:28 pm

I've had the nut (or ?) on the inside of the bumper sheet metal become detached, so my bolt just spins. Have any of you solved this? I have a couple ideas:

1) drill a hole next to the bumper bolt hole, pull the bolt out tight and hit through the hole with a mig welder, hoping to stick the nut back to the sheet metal.

2) cut the bolt off, open the hole out, and make up a threaded insert I can slide in from the outside with a collar I can weld from the outside - kind of like an expansion bolt, but welding it rather than relying on some expansion mechanism.

Other suggestions?
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Front bumper bolt

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:45 pm

I have used the collared expansion bolts that you lock down and they don't come apart for nothing. I guess you could tack weld them too.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:05 pm

jcbrock wrote:I've had the nut (or ?) on the inside of the bumper sheet metal become detached, so my bolt just spins. Have any of you solved this? I have a couple ideas:

1) drill a hole next to the bumper bolt hole, pull the bolt out tight and hit through the hole with a mig welder, hoping to stick the nut back to the sheet metal.

2) cut the bolt off, open the hole out, and make up a threaded insert I can slide in from the outside with a collar I can weld from the outside - kind of like an expansion bolt, but welding it rather than relying on some expansion mechanism.

Other suggestions?
Cut a generous access hole under the bolt area but where you can reach in with the bumper on. Grab the broken nut and try to break the bolt free of it. If no, cut off the bolt and be ready to fish the nut/bolt end out of your new access. Now use a simple bolt and a washer + nut to attach the bumper. Enjoy your new access hole for washing, primering, painting, undercoating the inside of the "deformation element".
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 am

Now I'm going to feel like an inadequate sleazeball unless I go the whole 9 yards on all 4. Maybe some doors with Dzus fastners too...if I imagine hard enough I'll think they're covering the hood vents on my 250 GTO.
Corvallis, OR

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:59 am

jcbrock wrote:Now I'm going to feel like an inadequate sleazeball unless I go the whole 9 yards on all 4. Maybe some doors with Dzus fastners too...if I imagine hard enough I'll think they're covering the hood vents on my 250 GTO.
Settle down. This is not a 38 million dollar Ferrari 250 GTO.
Colin
(I had nooooooo idea you were so RICH!)

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:34 am

I can't believe we forgot to show the 250 to you, it's in the back of the chicken coop over at BusBoyTom's.
Corvallis, OR

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:11 am

jcbrock wrote:I can't believe we forgot to show the 250 to you, it's in the back of the chicken coop over at BusBoyTom's.
You dang hill-billy Ferrari owners . . .
Colin :bom: