Wind Noises Driver Door

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Boxcar
Addicted!

Wind Noises Driver Door

Post by Boxcar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 am

Winter air is cold,and dense.Its a great time of year to troubleshoot windnoise problems.

75 Westy with drivers door wind noise. Whistle.

After renewing DS window regulator, and window channel felt, it seems that noise started..though also came winter air.

Door gasket newer BD forget source,door fit,channels have all been tweaked.
Tried taping window to felt area in trailing edge of glass.

Tried adjusting door for snugger fit up top. Added light 1/4"wide self adhesive foam to the top trailing corner of the door frame.

Have yet to tape door to body to eliminate gasket from scrutiny.

If driving,I crack window slightly,high pressure out/lower cabin pressure blend, whistle stops.
When I taped that window to felt intersection, whistle noise unchanged.

Devils in the Details
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Wind Noises Driver Door

Post by hambone » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:37 am

Vent window?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 pm

hi hambone, thanks, though
it seems like the vent from my post,,.the whistle is up close to my ear.
Taping upper latch side of the door tomorrow
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Boxcar wrote:Whistle.
Devil's in the Details
Like the possessive apostrophe I added to devil.

Is your air extractor knob ALL THE WAY FORWARD (open?)
Colin
(it must be, AND your Dual Flap Vapor Barrier needs to be intact - see "Vapor Barrier" in this forum)

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 pm

thanks Colin.

I could go back in and confirm my vapor barrier's seal....

Failed today:Taped where logic would lay cause for whistles but, 70% of noise still there. Slightly crazymaking. But I'll get it.

Was thinking the Jaloussy window...but why would some aluminum square corner sticking out along boundary layer 50mph air make a n y noise..? kidding of course.;)

my 75 has vestigial evidence of earlier model years door air vents presence but vent wasn't included. no air through my doors.

I kind of wonder about those, and how good they were?
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am

Boxcar wrote: my 75 has vestigial evidence of earlier model years door air vents presence but vent wasn't included. no air through my doors.
That is why you have wind noise.

If you have these oval "port holes" at the front of the doors where there is serious vacuum from the bow wave of the front end shoving through the air, you must have the air extractors. If your door panels do not have the extractor grills, you must go forth and obtain and install them. Replacement TMI door panels have little cut-out grooves so you can use the same panel for all buses. The question is, do you have replacement panels where someone did not cut out the extractors? Do you have early original panels where someone erroneously figured the car would be warmer if they just covered over the extractors? People erroneously conclude that the air extractors cause a cold draft, but they really improve the efficiency of the heater and the fresh air ventilation system. The 1972 and later buses all had extractors. Yes, they did. All of them.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Verry interesting.
Yes, doors have those holes coined/punched in.
Fresh air plenum on mine stops at factory screw on tin terminators, and that air goes nae ferther.
It might be nice to go forth and make all that happen.

Um, the extractors use the bow wave low pressure to act as a false return? Drawing heat mo better I would think.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Bow Wave.
Thank You Day.
Thank YOU Colin.
I learnt something today.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Boxcar wrote:Verry interesting.
A) Yes, doors have those holes coined/punched in.

B) Fresh air plenum on mine stops at factory screw on tin terminators, and that air goes nae ferther.
It might be nice to go forth and make all that happen.

C) Um, the extractors use the bow wave low pressure to act as a false return? Drawing heat mo better I would think.
A) Good, get to work. If you need new grills or blue slides, now is the time to scarf them.

B) Fresh air plenum terminae have nothing to do with this. They are blocked off in the Westys and they go through door ducts in passenger buses. But that has nothing to do with this.

C) Pretty much. These are more like Exit Air Dumps than "return air" primarily to reduce interior pressure so that new heater or ventilation air is not pushing against a closed box. These extractors improve air replacement up to 30%.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:54 am

C. Exit air dumps will also help cabin exchange air/moisture in critical winter/rainy conditions. That was a point that I was encountering as a shortfall (hinting at my IGnorance) in the cabin air control. Its a really great idea!!Harnessing the Bow Wave.
B. That the fresh air plenum terminates before the hinge side door jambs. ?Are these door applied ducts a good idea to fit up as well?
A. Yes Yes, I found a few offers of blue slides with 4 shim stock like springs,and others possibly integrally moulded retaining spring and track registers, and vent grills..No clue how long Samba sellers will munch up lead time.
A.1. The door applied fresh air ducts I found the black plenum adapters, but not the ducts yet. Any source ideas? Private seller fellas, rather than recycle houses? Its not urgent to have these in place as soon as the extractors.
peace and air exchanges.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:09 am

Boxcar wrote: C. great idea!!Harnessing the Bow Wave.

B. fresh air door ducts a good idea to fit up?

A. blue slides with 4 shim stock like springs,
The fresh air door ducts I found the black plenum adapters, but not the ducts yet. Any source ideas?
A/B) Door ducts will not work with Westy interiors. Is yours a Westy or passenger bus?

C) We who underestimate the German engineers do so at our own confusion and heartache.
Colin

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:07 pm

It's a Westy, Colin.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:08 am

Did a field dressing of the D/S vapor barrier yesterday.

Looking at the absent slider area,and existing registers, I saw evidence of something moving to and fro once.

Have some sliders and grills in the pipeline. In the meanwhile I did a duct& electrical tape field dress. Yes the duct tape mastic, dries and crumbles. Its temporary. Electrical tape to first make the barrier to door joint then duct over to firmly grab the barrier plastic. Etc Et Al Ad Infinitum.
Then I cut the door finish panel to reveal the duct, and made up a foam stopper to modulate air flow.
No test drive yet.
Test door closings yield an impression of not compressing cabin with jamb striking air squish.
The Devil's in the test drive.
A.)Are there books of the BUS history of design revisions+or engineering development.Such as the Bow Wave Door Vacuum vents:Magnifying lenses lifted from airport landing strips and lighthouses, and the like?

edit:I found maybe the least derivative,but who can say,
"vw bus a history of the passion"
its about twenty bucks. I previewed a couple other contemporaries of it on Kindle app.
To think our design stems from Dutch pedal powered freight dollys, as administered by Her Royal Majesty's post ww2 finest, is deep.
Going to spring for something.
Origin, its important.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:48 am

Boxcar wrote: A) Test door closings yield an impression of not compressing cabin with jamb striking air squish.

B) Are there books of the BUS history of design revisions+or engineering development?
A) That is a good sign.

B) Of all of the souls on Earth who might write such a thing, it would be me, but it would be "informed conjecture" as I am pretty sure the real people who could answer the arcana are either dead or in nursing homes by now.
"Hello, yes, Mr. Gottschalk, can you tell us who thought of the flow-through ventilation on the Transporter II? . . . . Mr. Gottschalk? . . . . I think he fell asleep."

Struggling with the book I am working on, as it is.
Colin

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Boxcar wrote: A) Test door closings yield an impression of not compressing cabin with jamb striking air squish.

B) Are there books of the BUS history of design revisions+or engineering development?
A) That is a good sign.

B) Of all of the souls on Earth who might write such a thing, it would be me, but it would be "informed conjecture" as I am pretty sure the real people who could answer the arcana are either dead or in nursing homes by now.
"Hello, yes, Mr. Gottschalk, can you tell us who thought of the flow-through ventilation on the Transporter II? . . . . Mr. Gottschalk? . . . . I think he fell asleep."

Struggling with the book I am working on, as it is.
Colin
Well it is easy for ME to say, but ((B.)) that is DAMN exciting.
ScribingColinnNee,
SirSwampySwami.

A.)I tried Busted Bus to source extractor parts from one source. Any other source ideas? Various people have the bits on the Samba. I look for a single vendor I say.
A) Devil's test drive=Success. The heat flow seemed to get though the seat base, as well as flowed better.
Whistles at my ear has stopped completely.
On to the passenger door!!
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015