Door Mirrors

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Door Mirrors

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:39 pm

I recently purchased a mirror for the passenger door recently and after installing on the door I went to tighten the bottom acorn nut and it broke. :geek:
My question is can I remove the flat piece with mirror and assemble on my original piece?

Piece on the left is from a 72 I purchased of TS.
Piece on the right is what was on my Bus at time of purchase.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Door Mirrors

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Found another thread that confirmed it comes apart, but this is what i'm left with...

Is there a way to swap the stud?? Doesn't look like it..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 pm

bajaman72 wrote:Found another thread that confirmed it comes apart, but this is what i'm left with...
Is there a way to swap the stud?? Doesn't look like it..
Don't think so..

The mirror backing is held onto the arm with a spring-loaded nut for some adjustability slippage.
The arm is held onto the door "eye" piece with a spring-loaded nut for pedestrian-friendly movement. Unfortunately, if the cone part gets galled or worn, the arm does not snug onto the door piece, and people will unwittingly over-tighten the little acorn nut and snap the stud. The proper way to save the thing is to wrap some HVAC tape around the cone profile, ande it is sticky enough to resist truck blasts but not enough to gore pedestrians.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 am

Those Hagus mirrors have become junky. You're lucky to get 5 years before the glass fogs or something breaks off. I hear that the Wolfsburg West ones are better but dunno.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 pm

I realized later the stud I need to swap is not removable :pale: . Went over to WW site and seen theirs are only 24 bucks. I paid 20 for this one from someone parting a 72. I was just trying to keep it looking like the drivers side... guess I'll order a couple new ones. (only 1 new one would drive me crazy) :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 am

bajaman72 wrote:I realized later the stud I need to swap is not removable :pale: . Went over to WW site and seen theirs are only 24 bucks. I paid 20 for this one from someone parting a 72. I was just trying to keep it looking like the drivers side... guess I'll order a couple new ones. (only 1 new one would drive me crazy) :geek:

I think two new chrome mirrors will demand windshield chrome surround.
Don't ever accuse me of not being a brat.
Colin :sunny:

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
bajaman72 wrote:I realized later the stud I need to swap is not removable :pale: . Went over to WW site and seen theirs are only 24 bucks. I paid 20 for this one from someone parting a 72. I was just trying to keep it looking like the drivers side... guess I'll order a couple new ones. (only 1 new one would drive me crazy) :geek:

Bajaman you're in luck! The WW mirrors aren't chrome, they're stainless steel. So therefore you won't have to replace your windshield seal with the chrome trim because stainless steel mirrors don't necessarily demand chrome trim. :bootyshake:

On a serious note. The WW stainless mirrors are fantastic. I have them on both of my buses and I've been very happy with them.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 am

dtrumbo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Bajaman you're in luck! The WW mirrors aren't chrome, they're stainless steel. So therefore you won't have to replace your windshield seal with the chrome trim because stainless steel mirrors don't necessarily demand chrome trim. :bootyshake:

On a serious note. The WW stainless mirrors are fantastic. I have them on both of my buses and I've been very happy with them.
Polished stainless is the typical finish for the mirror backing. The shoddy chrome issue comes up with the arm and the doohickey that screws into the door itself. The arm has to have a proper conical contact within the thingamabobby. There is a keyed washer too, that prevents the acorn nut from sending torque up the spring? Did you have to assemble the arm to the whatchamacallit or was it a complete assembly ready to screw into the door with a proper American car white plastic drain plug washer to prevent water incursion into the door?
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Amskeptic wrote:...or was it a complete assembly ready to screw into the door with a proper American car white plastic drain plug washer to prevent water incursion into the door?
Colin
It was complete. I got the washers at my local Ace Hardware.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!