Need help with defrost cable - 78 Westy

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

Need help with defrost cable - 78 Westy

Post by satchmo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 am

It is getting colder here (yeah, right, I live in SoCal) and there really is a need for a functional defroster. Especially first thing in the morning after a 39 degree camp out.

When I got the bus, the defrost flapper valve in the heater "T" was zip-tied in the open position. I know I can do that again if needed, but VW was wise enough to give us a control lever to open and close the valve at will, so I'd kind of like to get that working.

The cable is in place, but I'm missing whatever it is that pins the cable to the bracket on the heater tube. Take a look at the pics below and tell me what it is I need, or what I can do to make the defrost control/cable functional. (The defrost cable is installed, it is just tucked in behind the foot panel to keep it out of the way.)

I have a feeling that what is supposed to hold the cable on the bracket is a spring clip kind of like what holds the upper end of the heater cables in the dash. Let me know what you think. Photos appreciated since I'm a visual learner.

Thanks for your help, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Need help with defrost cable - 78 Westy

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 pm

So I'm at work today and I just happened to drive my bus to work (it's been WAY too long!). I went down to take some pictures and let's just say I'm glad I don't make my living as a photographer! Anyway, here's the deal:

The end of the cable has an 'S' bent into it which slips through the hole of the floor/defrost lever. As mentioned my skills are not photography so I drew the end of the cable in red so you could actually tell what you were looking at.

Then, the sheath of the cable is attached to the bracket with a special clip that no doubt is long-lost. Here's another view.

I'm sure Ken Madson has a few of those clips or perhaps you can find one somewhere else. To sum up, it doesn't seem the cable attaches to the flapper with anything special. It's the clip that holds the cable sheath that is the missing puzzle piece.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm

That looks like the same clip that holds the heater cables on mid-90's Land Rover Defenders. I'll check to see if I still have any in my toolbox. The one I'm thinking of is RNA911. You can buy it for $2.95.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks, dtrumbo! I figured there was probably a spring metal clip involved. The pics were fine.

I will check a local used parts place down here for the clip and call Ken Madsen if I'm unable to locate one.

Tim

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 am

Tim,

Did you get this fixed?

What often happens is the end of the cable breaks off too. That's the spot I am in. I think that cable is unobtainium. Hope it's not the problem on yours.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm

drober23 wrote:Tim,

Did you get this fixed?

What often happens is the end of the cable breaks off too. That's the spot I am in. I think that cable is unobtainium. Hope it's not the problem on yours.
You can fashion a front cable to the floor/defrost lever using any throttle cable from a lawn mower. You will need to fashion a dog leg, and you will need to trim the sheath to the correct length.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 am

Got it fixed. Ken at theBusCo sent me a clip. I modified a heater cable to replace the NLA defrost cable.

See folks at BBB this weekend.

Tim (in Joshua Tree)