Maaco / Scheib Paint

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Post Reply
RussellK
IAC Addict!
Status: Offline

Maaco / Scheib Paint

Post by RussellK » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:54 am

I read their paint jobs getting criticized all the time but wonder if it's the prep that is lacking or are there other reasons. My Beetle needs paint. The PO had a job done and it's terrible. I don't have the cash to just drop this off somewhere and get it done completely. I know I can handle doing the prep correctly but I'm not sure about spraying a finish coat. Opinions? Advice?

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Maaco / Scheib Paint

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

RussellK wrote:I read their paint jobs getting criticized all the time but wonder if it's the prep that is lacking or are there other reasons. My Beetle needs paint. The PO had a job done and it's terrible. I don't have the cash to just drop this off somewhere and get it done completely. I know I can handle doing the prep correctly but I'm not sure about spraying a finish coat. Opinions? Advice?
If you want paint-as-protection, you can prep and paint and have fun doing it, and even reduce the overspray horror that is the modern quicky Maaco type job. Nothing says cheesy as fast as body color all over the chassis and the rubber and the door sills and the engine and the everything.

If you want a professional looking exterior to add value to your car, then a professional not-in-a-hurry is the way to go.

In retrospect, I was quite satisfied with the Road Warrior spray can job - nooooo overspray anywhere!
January 24, 2004
Side Shot
Amskeptic
I painted this thing with 42 spray cans of Chevrolet Corporate Blue Engine Enamel and a bunch of Rustoleum Gloss White toned down with a light clear coat. Lots of rubbing out. . .
Wheels were shot with Duplicolor Aluminum and clearcoat.
This paint job is going on three years old now and is holding up.

View other images:
From Amskeptic
In 68-79 Bus - Deluxes
Action: Edit Move

Image
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 129,490 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 94,225 miles

User avatar
jonyem
Getting Hooked!
Location: Sequim, Washington
Status: Offline

Re: Maaco / Scheib Paint

Post by jonyem » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:34 am

Colin,
When you painted the Road Warrior did you do it out in the open, or in a shop, protected from the elements and insects? I'm considering doing the home paint job, but if I did, it would be out in the open since I don't have a garage or intend to rent one.

Jonathan
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Maaco / Scheib Paint

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:14 am

jonyem wrote:Colin,
When you painted the Road Warrior did you do it out in the open, or in a shop, protected from the elements and insects? I'm considering doing the home paint job, but if I did, it would be out in the open since I don't have a garage or intend to rent one.

Jonathan
I was in my garage. It took out most of my brain cells. You can get a hepafilter mask. I could not control the bugs that gravitated towards the lights.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 129,490 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 94,225 miles

User avatar
jonyem
Getting Hooked!
Location: Sequim, Washington
Status: Offline

Re: Maaco / Scheib Paint

Post by jonyem » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 am

Amskeptic wrote:
jonyem wrote:Colin,
When you painted the Road Warrior did you do it out in the open, or in a shop, protected from the elements and insects? I'm considering doing the home paint job, but if I did, it would be out in the open since I don't have a garage or intend to rent one.

Jonathan
I was in my garage. It took out most of my brain cells. You can get a hepafilter mask. I could not control the bugs that gravitated towards the lights.
Colin
I can't afford those brain cells (ask my wife). I'll get my hands on a hepafilter mask when the time comes.
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

Post Reply