Welder

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Welder

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:39 pm

So I'm interested in buying a MIG welder to learn how to..weld ;) I have a nice Christmas bonus set aside specifically for this. I'm looking for a quality namebrand MIG, not some cheap harbor freight style. My only requirement is the welder needs to run off the standard 115v, since I rent.

So after doing a bit of research, here are the 3 I'm currently looking at, in order of preference.

Lincoln SP135
Miller Millermatic 135
Craftsman MIG Welder with Cart (This is really up here since I'm a craftsman fan for their tools, but I'm more so leaning towards the other 2)

Any feedback on the models listed above? Any other models I should check out?
I'd also be appreciative of any suggestions of "accessory" kits (Mask, clamp, etc).

Thanks much!

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:22 am

To successfully weld sheet metal you need .024 wire and gas......A welder with infinite adjust ability is also nice....I have a Miller 175 and love it. I did not get a 125V welder because it takes a very healthy circuit to run it, with nothing else on that circuit......
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Well like I said, since I'm renting my current residence (and don't plan on moving for at least 6 months or so), I'm stuck with the 115v.

Does anyone have any feedback on these (or other) units?
Should I not bother until I can get access to 220v?

Thanks again

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:39 pm

I just made an extension cord from some romax and run my welder outta my dryer outlet, an easy 220V source.....When i plugged a friends 110 welder into my garage and ran it all the lights went out!!! This is what convinced me to get the 220 model....When I run it the lights stay on.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:42 pm

I agree that 220 is the way to go. You will be glad when the need for it arises. I have an old Sears stick welder that hooks up to the dryer outlet. I have about 30 feet of extension (similar to a dryer pigtail, very heavy duty) Go for some "Mighty" Romex if Romex is the way you go.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....