fresh air vents, perimeter seal Vs a seal covering the flap?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

fresh air vents, perimeter seal Vs a seal covering the flap?

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:17 pm

I have cold air coming into the cabin even with the fresh air vents "closed" - but I still need to adjust the cable and lever and be sure they are fully pulling tight when closed.

Upon inspection, it looks like the PO came up with his own system to seal the flaps by using a large piece of foam cut to fit the whole flap.

It looks like I have some scraping and POR15'ing to do here (that flash really makes it look BAD), but should I recreate the whole border foam setup or go with the layout seen here?

1979 California Transporter

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Re: fresh air vents, perimeter seal Vs a seal covering the f

Post by thesamwise4 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:12 am

Hey, Chris,

Not sure what the accepted wisdom is, but I just did this to my bus yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't take pics.

I used a product pretty similar to this--- http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=4601

It was too wide, so I cut it in half, pressed the two long strips in, and cut little pieces for the sides, forming a kind of rectangle with an open strip in the middle. Does that make sense?

It worked perfectly for me--total seal. What a difference!
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:23 pm

airkooledchris wrote:I have cold air coming into the cabin even with the fresh air vents "closed" - but I still need to adjust the cable and lever and be sure they are fully pulling tight when closed.

Upon inspection, it looks like the PO came up with his own system to seal the flaps by using a large piece of foam cut to fit the whole flap.

It looks like I have some scraping and POR15'ing to do here (that flash really makes it look BAD), but should I recreate the whole border foam setup or go with the layout seen here?
I ... I have an almost write-up .... over on that Itinerant Air-Cooled site ....

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... =58&t=8069
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks guys. I ended up using the same material as Colin did in the above mentioned thread (I knew I saw a writeup somewhere, just couldn't find the post it was hiding within.)

Works great. I need to re-adjust the rid behind the dash as I can't move it into the fully closed position before the flaps are already tight against the body.
At highway speeds I have no blast of cold air sneaking in any more.
1979 California Transporter