Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Parts: Belatedly Discovered Junk

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:36 am

Latest post of the previous page:

wcfvw69 wrote:
cegammel wrote:On the other hand...and I expect to be flamed for this...both of my vws were scrap material ($400 for the van, $300 for the beetle). I jumped into rebuilds mostly for the education, and also the cool factor. The fact that we camp most weekends makes the Vanagon a plus. That being said, my cars will never be show vehicles. They will never be worth more than a few thousand dollars. The lack of care in the van for more than 30 years, and the ubiquitous nature of supers will keep the value minimal regardless of my improvements. I have spent more than double what I would ever hope to regain. My cars are not investments; I have a stock market for that. Cheap parts allow me to continue this hobbie without breaking the bank or angering the wife. I shop junkyards whenever I can, and I stick with oe parts on the van, but the beetle is a beater...plain and simple. Chinese and Brazilian parts allow me to stay in the game. It's frustrating when the parts don't work, but that is part of the game...just as it is with the junkyard parts I've pulled.

Let the beatings begin...
Nah,

No need for anyone to start the "beatings". I certainly don't look down my nose at anyones situation in regards to what they can or want to spend on parts. My only point is what drives these cheap parts to be made and sold is the demand for them along with people willing to accept the lower quality. If there was a stronger outcry and demand for OEM quality aftermarket VW parts, they'd be made. Right now, the scale is heavily in favor of EMPI's Chinese offerings.

BTW, I personally LLLOOVVVEEE hitting swap meets and junk yards looking for deals on used parts. Heck, all three of my bone stock VW's have rebuilt/refurbished, original, German, VW parts on them. It is a trend I see MANY VW owners subscribing to lately on these air cooled VW sites. Volksbiz has a strong business rebuilding the original Solex carbs because they are so much better than anything new made today. Many people are rebuilding the original Pierburg fuel pumps for the same reason. The original parts simply fit, and can usually be rebuilt to like new standards as well.

Someone recently stated to NOT lose sight on what it costs to repair late model cars. For someone reason it resonated w/me. I HATE to spend money on good quality VW parts. I shop price between vendors like my hair is on fire! lol. I then step back and say, "it could be worse, I could need this new part for my 2015 Honda..
I go the extra mile as when in europe I hit different VW restoration/parts shop for good quality parts I can't find in the US. The Westy plaid I brought back is an example too.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 pm

New sun visor clips, from JBugs. Same bags as sold elsewhere.

The space between clip 'grab points' is too small. Open them up with a Dremel-brand rotary tool?

New on left, original in center, and modified on right:

So I cut a little far, but I'm still convinced China is a country without micrometers.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
100k miles with me.
279k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:47 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 pm
New sun visor clips, from JBugs. Same bags as sold elsewhere.

The space between clip 'grab points' is too small. Open them up with a Dremel-brand rotary tool?

New on left, original in center, and modified on right:

So I cut a little far, but I'm still convinced China is a country without micrometers.
Robbie
This chinese crap can work in our favor in this instance. With care, you can remove material just the way you like it for a low-effort-but-positive click into place. This situation is preferable to a clip that was not cast with enough of a oxbow to even hold the visor on every stupid bump . . .

I do this "remove material for a low-effort positive click" on the clutch wingnut too! Why battle that damn thing under there in the dark, when all you have to do is lubricate it well, grind down the shoulders on the wing nut and make sure the cable is not twisted up like KellyAnne Conway?
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles