Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:00 am

Latest post of the previous page:

asiab3 wrote:Yep. That was the ticket :cheers: It was almost shocking how many pounds of dirt and grease were hitchhiking in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ytz4pAY_Lg

And of course a new rubbing block since Colin pointed out mine was near death. It still sounds louder than I remember the BobD bus sounding, but I could not get the grit out of my lower support bearing try as I might.

Robbie
Advanced Operational Aesthetics 401
Sand the lower track to a glossy shiny lightly lubricated delicious smoothness. If yours has slight rust pockets, the rollers rumble . . .
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

User avatar
Sneaks
I'm New!
Location: Albany TWP, Me
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by Sneaks » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm doing this process now, thanks for the awesome write up. Got my mechanism out, my nylon block is blown the hell out, so that will be replaced. The roller was not moving, a little help from PB Blaster got it rolling but before I spend any time on the roller, I have a question...

Is there more than one roller design? Mine doesn't have an outer lip like what I see above. It only has an inner lip. It doesn't look like it's broken or an outer lip (part that would actually be closer to the body) is worn off.
IMG_20180802_154223.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Sneaks wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 pm
I'm doing this process now, thanks for the awesome write up. Got my mechanism out, my nylon block is blown the hell out, so that will be replaced. The roller was not moving, a little help from PB Blaster got it rolling but before I spend any time on the roller, I have a question...

Is there more than one roller design? Mine doesn't have an outer lip like what I see above. It only has an inner lip. It doesn't look like it's broken or an outer lip (part that would actually be closer to the body) is worn off.

IMG_20180802_154223.jpg
Your outer lip has taken its leave of the premises. Get a new proper roller.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

User avatar
Sneaks
I'm New!
Location: Albany TWP, Me
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by Sneaks » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you!
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

stevespeirs
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by stevespeirs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36 pm

Another wonderful tutorial to add to my list of things to tackle. Thanks, Colin!

Before making a start, I assume there shouldn't be as much play in the u-bracket/hinge as my video suggests? This is me lifting the open door from the rear, bottom corner.


User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:47 am

stevespeirs wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36 pm
Another wonderful tutorial to add to my list of things to tackle. Thanks, Colin!
Before making a start, I assume there shouldn't be as much play in the u-bracket/hinge as my video suggests? This is me lifting the open door from the rear, bottom corner.
[media
That is trouble.
a) obtain a good used assembly at once.

b) I think a machinist could provide you with a bushing pressed into the re-piloted hinge with an inner diameter that matches that of the pin.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 94,615 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,990 miles

stevespeirs
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh

Post by stevespeirs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:28 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:47 am
stevespeirs wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36 pm
Another wonderful tutorial to add to my list of things to tackle. Thanks, Colin!
Before making a start, I assume there shouldn't be as much play in the u-bracket/hinge as my video suggests? This is me lifting the open door from the rear, bottom corner.
[media
That is trouble.
a) obtain a good used assembly at once.

b) I think a machinist could provide you with a bushing pressed into the re-piloted hinge with an inner diameter that matches that of the pin.
Colin
Used assembly on its way and should be delivered tomorrow. Managed to score a chrome u-bracket too :thumbleft:

In other news on the opposite side of the hinge assembly, cleaned up the oh-so-dirty rail, replaced the badly worn nylon block and fitted a new roller. The old roller had a bit of a flat spot, so great to have things rolling along nicely now.

Looking forward to fixing the hinge play, then installing new, flexible beading and popping the cover back on.

So thankful for the step-by-step tutorial and words of wisdom. Cheers, Colin!

Post Reply