Steering wheel gap too large

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Steering wheel gap too large

Post by rallybug » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 am

I took my steering wheel off to try and get to the electrical part of the ignition switch, but when I put it back together, I can't seem to close the gap properly to the housing - any ideas what I've done wrong?
IMG_0609.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Steering wheel gap too large

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 am

rallybug wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 am
I took my steering wheel off to try and get to the electrical part of the ignition switch, but when I put it back together, I can't seem to close the gap properly to the housing - any ideas what I've done wrong?

IMG_0609.JPG
Am I already five days too late to this query?

The steering wheel is at an "elevation" that is solely dependent upon the steering box/frame.

The column/steering lock housing actually has a little up-n-down slide room when the clamp bolt is loosened.
The clamp bolt is a tamperproof smooth bolt head located on the left side of the column/steering lock housing. I slam a torx head into the round hole atop the bolt and turn it into an "allen head" bolt that you can loosen. Then pull up on the steering lock housing (carefully, there is cheap plastic all about) until you have a 2mm gap and tighten the bolt here.
Colin
Deposit Deadline May 13

BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,770 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 76,343 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 69,500 miles

Return to “Body / Hardware”