'79 Bus-no turn signal /high beams, hazards OK

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

'79 Bus-no turn signal /high beams, hazards OK

Post by airkooledchris » Sat May 14, 2011 5:16 pm

79 bus

maybe it's just the relay? but I haven't had it fail this way before.

I can't activate the turn signals even manually, in that they don't just fail to flash, they don't light up at all when I engage them.
I'm used to being able to manually turn them on/off when the relay fails, but these aren't doing that.

my hazards work, and the fuse in the #12 spot is not blown (the turn signals share the same fuse as the warning lights for the oil/alt and those light up correctly.)

the other function that stalk does on the column is engage high beams, which also fail to do anything at all.

has something in the lever/stalk that operates the turn signals and high beams busted, or should I run out and buy a replacement flasher relay first?

thanks for any tips.
1979 California Transporter

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: no turn signals or high beams - hazzards work 79 bus

Post by airkooledchris » Sat May 14, 2011 5:55 pm

well, it's working again. I saw in the Bentley that the relay isn't the cause if either are working correctly, so I went hunting and found that one cluster of wires feeding up into the steering column had simply been knocked loose. I plugged it back in and sanity was restored.

yay, because I have other projects in mind for the rest of the day today/tomorrow.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: no turn signals or high beams - hazzards work 79 bus

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 15, 2011 6:28 pm

airkooledchris wrote:well, it's working again. I saw in the Bentley that the relay isn't the cause if either are working correctly, so I went hunting and found that one cluster of wires feeding up into the steering column had simply been knocked loose. I plugged it back in and sanity was restored.
This is a classic troubleshooting moment, where you have to figure out where in the stream to jump.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles