77 Bus - High Voltage

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

buck
I'm New!

77 Bus - High Voltage

Post by buck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:48 pm

77 Campmobile 2 ltr FI - Bus was running good. Last weekend took a trip (75 total miles) @ about 50 miles starting getting hesitation (feels like lack of fuel) when I let off gas pedal while running about 60mph. Return trip revealed same symptoms. I recently replaced battery because it woudn't stay charged (FLAPS guy tested it, claimed it had bad cell). When I got home I checked battery voltage and meter read 15.2 w/ engine off. Checked again today and w/ engine running meter measured 16.4 volts. My guess is voltage regulator has failed. Alternator is pumping to much juice to the battery and electrical systems causing ECU act up and thus the hesitation. Any ideas from the resident experts?

Buck
77 Westfalia Campmobile
Knowledge is not how much you know, but knowing where to find it. - Albert Einstein

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Danger - High Voltage

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:38 am

Sounds like you've nailed it. Given your evidence and the relative ease of replacing the regulator, I say go for it. Your ECU, battery and everything else that is electrical in your bus right down to your bulb filaments will thank you!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Danger - High Voltage

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:43 pm

buck wrote:77 Campmobile 2 ltr FI - Bus was running good. Last weekend took a trip (75 total miles) @ about 50 miles starting getting hesitation (feels like lack of fuel) when I let off gas pedal while running about 60mph. Return trip revealed same symptoms. I recently replaced battery because it woudn't stay charged (FLAPS guy tested it, claimed it had bad cell). When I got home I checked battery voltage and meter read 15.2 w/ engine off. Checked again today and w/ engine running meter measured 16.4 volts. My guess is voltage regulator has failed. Alternator is pumping to much juice to the battery and electrical systems causing ECU act up and thus the hesitation. Any ideas from the resident experts?

Buck
Run the surface charge off the battery by keeping the headlamps on engine off for about 10 minutes. Check voltage. Start engine. What is voltage now? Report here.
Colin
(I'd like that old regulator)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Re: 77 Bus - High Voltage

Post by dingo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 pm

new Volt reg. may or may not solve it..keep the receipt. If it doesnt, its most likely a bad ground (on Bosch systems)...and if not that, then look into the true status of your battery i.e. after removing the surface charge
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

buck
I'm New!

Post by buck » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Jeez Louise, I am embarrassed to admit that I made a mistake in diagnosis of electrical system. My multi-meter had a low battery and was giving me an incorrect reading (high by 10- 15 percent). I should have checked against a known source. Battery and charging system check out and are AOD. So, hesitation problem still exists. Another sympton the bus is experiencing is when turning key to start position starter does not immediately engage and a slight whirring noise can be heard. Time elapse is approx 1 second. Prior to this problem starter engaged immediately when key was turned to start. Any ideas?
Buck
77 Westfalia Campmobile
Knowledge is not how much you know, but knowing where to find it. - Albert Einstein

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:10 pm

buck wrote:Jeez Louise, I am embarrassed to admit that I made a mistake in diagnosis of electrical system. My multi-meter had a low battery and was giving me an incorrect reading (high by 10- 15 percent). I should have checked against a known source. Battery and charging system check out and are AOD. So, hesitation problem still exists. Another sympton the bus is experiencing is when turning key to start position starter does not immediately engage and a slight whirring noise can be heard. Time elapse is approx 1 second. Prior to this problem starter engaged immediately when key was turned to start. Any ideas?
Buck
Make the electrical connections on your starter shiny and clean. Do the same for the battery ground strap and any other ground connections you can find. Once you have done that, see how it starts and runs, and go from there.

Good luck, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius